Responsibilty, boundaries and tall poppies

Mike Copeland mcopeland at doc.govt.nz
Tue Apr 13 14:06:40 PDT 2004

I was walking my dog this morning around the wild forested inlet across from
where I live and this thought struck me:

"I respect that I have boundaries and I respect the boundaries of others."

These are words I often repeat to myself in life; especially when I come
across people who guard their boundaries with an iron fortress but totally
disregard those of others. This is a situation I find rampant in individuals
and organisational culture as a way of being.

The issue of boundaries is a biggy for me as I'm the sort of person who
enjoys taking responsibility for things I want to do. Yet I have
battled/suffered with folks who like to throw stones from the sidelines. You
know the types, the "tall poppy" hunters who spend their lives cutting off
the head of anyone who sticks out beyond the norm.

Where Open Space is gelling for me at present, and I'm talking in daily life
not just facilitating an event, is it incorporates this beautiful idea of
boundaries. Those with passion and responsibility become champions. They
move ideas forward by putting up their hands to do the necessary work.
Everyone has the chance to be involved but involvement by definition
presupposes passion and responsibility: here is your chance to put up or
shut up, walk your talk, put your money where your mouth is and thus
integrity is called for!

A boundary is drawn between those with the courage to move ahead and those
not interested. Ultimately, for me, this is about allowing the little clod
of earth that I am to manifest and accepting that of my fellow being as
well. Open Space calls my being forth and I am truly living.

Mike Copeland

This e-mail (and attachments) is confidential
and may be legally privileged.