is it still open with "to givens or not to givens"?

averbuch averbuch at post.tau.ac.il
Wed Apr 7 18:54:23 PDT 2004

Thanks for a wonderful conversation!
I shall try to share our side of town:

                We ask every one of the sponsors what are they wishing
for – this sets the intention.

                We work with a steering committee of people
representing, as microcosm, the whole and we ask them the same question
(what are you wishing for). This group is created by the sponsor and
he/she are part of this group yet anyone who wishes to can join in (and
they do). This group is presented with the sponsor's intention and they
are to decide whether to use Open Space technology or another form, the
theme, the participants ect.

                We never speak about givens and I do not recall ever
deciding about it…  I believe initially, while reading the guide book
and trying to be literal about implementing it, our understanding was
that open space is about:
-       allowing real choice for people and trusting they'll do well and

-       opening ourselves to inviting everyone, trusting they are the
right people (for us to figure in what way).

Open Space for me means that what holds it/us together is the deep
irresistible attraction of the center (intention, invitation, belief
that we can) and not commitment to givens( defined by what we can not,
will not). They both exist and are in the consciousness of every one but
the same way we use language of positive future and question to open
space we didn't use givens.

While I was in training with Brigitte in 2001 I first put my conscious
mind to the questions of givens but still I did not use it. Maybe I do
not really believe people have many real "givens" . imo it is more about
trust, creative conversations and intention . Many times in the steering
committee people will challenge the sponsors with "what if" questions to
check their intentions (or limitations…), this is a very reach dialogue
that helps open the space, grow trust and bonding and practice, many
times for the first time, what conversation between equals can look like
when they alien. This becomes a nourishing ground for the OS event and a
relevant place to air your fears, vulnerabilities and apprehensions; ask
for help and get some.
So it basically a practice to fallow after the event is over.
Many times I feel that the steering committee is where the space is
really opened, especially in multi organizational issues when we start
with sponsorship of the 3 "good ones" and we end up with 12"who care
about" organizations and at list 30 people on the steering/preparatory
committee, and long before the os event all of them know something about
inviting; something about inclusion; and "be prepared to be surprised"….

And last one for tonight, Kerry wrote
we find that people are very responsible and would not dream of
jeopardising an opportunity to discuss matters of great importance to
their future by being excessively demanding and unrealistic.  In this
sense, therefore, the
events are self governing, because the opportunity to discuss the
future is highly valued.

And this is one of the most ground-shaking ahha's of sponsor's that  I
love to watch!

That's my 2 agorot (cents in Hebrew coin).
Thank you for keeping me awake and having me think in English so late

I love you all a whole lot
Tova
Israel

an

Tova Averbuch             טובה אורבוך
34 Rabinovitz St.   רחוב רבינוביץ 34
Holon            58672               חולון
Israel
               972-3-5523476
         averbuch at post.tau.ac.il