Ideas wanted for book on happiness at work; report from the field

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Tue Sep 30 11:30:46 PDT 2003

Alexander and all ~

Browsing in a bookstore yesterday, I saw the Dalai Lama has a new book
out called The Art of Happiness at Work.

Today I looked for the book on Amazon.com, and found this review:

"The Art of Happiness at Work is a modern-day Socratic dialogue in which
Cutler asks the Dalai Lama about the difficulties and rewards we might
encounter in the workplace. The authors explore issues such as work and
identity, making money, the Buddhist concept of "right livelihood," and
transforming dissatisfaction at work. The discussion appears simple, if
not obvious, at first, but upon closer scrutiny, the Dalai Lama's
profound wisdom and sensitivity emerges. For the Dalai Lama, basic human
values such as kindness, tolerance, compassion, honesty, and forgiveness
are the source of human happiness. Throughout the book, he illustrates
with clear examples how bringing those qualities to bear on work-related
challenges can help us tolerate or overcome the most thorny situations.
Recognizing that not all problems can be solved, the Dalai Lama provides
very sound advice. The authors urge balance and self-awareness and
wisely state, "No matter how satisfying our work is, it is a mistake to
rely on work as our only source of satisfaction." --Silvana Tropea"

I hope this helps you in your search for meaning in the workplace ~

Julie