online participation...

Ethelyn Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 24 05:11:23 PDT 2003

At 10:39 PM 9/23/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Previous conferences I might have just "visited" in the way mentioned
>above. However, with this conference I had the opportunity to check-in in
>a whole different manner. I wonder about the onsite participants and what
>it was like for them to feel online participants adding to the occasion.
>In what ways was that addition of attention, intention, passion, ?????
>experienced?

With the advent of Internet, time and space constraints largely disappear
or at least are majorly modified. And Internet, in its own way, is
definitely the largest Open Space that most of us regularly participate
in.  Combining Internet and Open Space in whatever way always, at least in
my experience, creates a very powerful new reality. Actually, at the first
Open Space in Monterey CA (1985) the Internet in its earliest forms was
very much a part of the scene, and in addition to the 85 folks taking the
first plunge into Open Space, there were probably that many more beaming in
from other spaces. In a most remarkable way we found our time/space bound
gathering going timeless and global.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive