Fw: [searchnet] The Math of Networks

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue Sep 9 09:21:13 PDT 2003

Welcome Alexander, and thanks for your blog link too.  Several of us
here have weblogs as well, including myself
(http://www.chriscorrigan.com/parkinglot ) , Michael Herman
(http://www.globalchicago.net <http://www.globalchicago.net/> ) and
Martin Leith (http://www.martinleith.com/blog/).  I like what blogging
(keeping weblogs and linking to sources) is doing in the wider world to
connect people and ideas and create networks.  I'll add you to my list
of links.

As for the math of networks, I like what David P. Reed has said on this.
In this article - http://www.epublicrelations.org/Reedlaw.html - someone
has outlined his mathematical law of group formation:

"The Group Forming Law (or, Reed's Law) calculates the number of groups
of two or more people which can be formed a single group.

For example, how many groups of two or more people can be formed with an
initial group of three? According to Reed's Law is 2N-N-1. Substituting
3 for N the answer is 4. Not a very impressive number. However, the
answer grows dramatically as N grows. For example, how many groups of
two or more people can be formed in a classroom of 20 students? The
answer? 1,048,555!!!

More here:
http://www.contextmag.com/setFrameRedirect.asp?src=/archives/199903/Digi
talStrategy.asp

I sometimes like to do the math before meetings to use the figures to
explain the amount of potential in the room. Walking the circle,
uttering the second principle about whatever happens, I sometimes say
"and if you don't believe me, understand this:  The twenty of you in
this room can form yourselves in over one million permutations, so don't
be too worried about what might have been.work with what is."

And Harrison, I've often thought of responsibility not so much as an
initial condition, but more as a kind of boundary that both enables and
bounds the passion.  Passion and responsibility have a symbiotic
relationship in Open Space, but my experience has been that people
discover their responsibility AFTER they tap their passion.  In other
words, without passion as the initial condition, it's less likely that
people will feel like they need to propose a topic, much less convene a
conversation or follow up.  But people motivated by passion can seem to
do anything.  Reminding them that the CAN do anything (with the Law of
Two Feet) certainly helps.

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Bowen Island, BC, Canada