Fw: [searchnet] The Math of Networks

Alexander Kjerulf alexander at kjerulf.com
Tue Sep 9 02:58:32 PDT 2003

Hi

Yeah, small world networks are definitely a big part of why Open Space
works. Actually it's a big part of why the world works :o)

Mark Buchanan has written an excellent and highly readable book called
"Small world" on this very new and very promising science. I've reviewed
it here: http://www.kjerulf.com/journal/00000214.htm .

Obvious parallels between small world networks and open space gatherings
include:
* Small world networks are highly adaptable, yet very stable - as are
Open Space gatherings
* The structure in small worlds networks arises without central planning
- as in OS
* Bumblebees can be seen as "weak connections" between tightly knit
groups - one of the main reasons that small world networks are tightly knit

Thanks for bringing this connection to my attention.

I would like to take this chance to introduce myself on the list, since
this is my first post. I'm Alexander, and I've started an organization
in Denmark called "Project happiness at work". There's a little more
info on that here: http://www.kjerulf.com/projectshappinessatwork.htm .
I've been an active user of Open Space for 3 years, and the project's
structure is based totally on OS.

What excites me most about OS, is that it is the meeting form that does
the best job of acknowledging the fact that we are individuals capable
of making decisions for ourselves. Ie. OS acknowledges our basic human
freedom and puts it to work.

I also have a blog called "Positive Sharing" at http://www.kjerulf.com .

Cheers

Alexander