Ideas wanted for book on happiness at work

Audrey Coward audreycoward at bellnet.ca
Fri Sep 26 07:29:24 PDT 2003

Dear Alexander,
        Last Friday I attended a talk By Matthew Fox on the re-invention
of work. He distinguishes between job and work this way; a job is what
we often do to get money to pay the bills; work in its "best" form
brings joy to self and others, learning and gives us an opportunity to
tap into our creativity. He didn't attempt to define joy. He defines
work as our life's work such as writing a book, raising children, making
meals, investing in our relationships with others.
        I recently met a 47 year old woman who told me she has never
been happy. I spoke to another young woman who said society is going to
have to change its work demands because we are all burning out.
        Are you making a distinction between employed by others or self
employed?
        I have done some work in the past on keys to work satisfaction;
but I think your work happiness may have a different meaning.

        In the book I would like to know how you define work happiness.
It was great to meet you and my time in your wonderful city flew at just
about the same rate as my money.

Audrey