[searchnet] The Math of Networks

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed Sep 10 12:39:58 PDT 2003

Can't wait to have you joining the blogosphere Chris.  There is so much
richness in this community of people; the blogs that are appearing are
wonderful.

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Bowen Island, BC, Canada
http://www.chriscorrigan.com
chris at chriscorrigan.com

(604) 947-9236

Meg
> > Salter
> > Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 8:01 AM
> > To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
> > Subject: Re: Fw: [searchnet] The Math of Networks
> >
> > Thanks Chris
> > I'm meeting with a bunch of research scientists this afternoon to
plan
> > an open space. For some people, mathematical or exterior language
helps
> > them to feel at home with this concept.
> > And another musing thought about ... long links. Certaiinly links
among
> > disparate groups/ people create a long link within the current
> > network, helping to energize it, create a living group from what
might
> > have been disparate, unconnected people/groups.
> > I wonder if the facilitator is a long link too. ie, by holding
space,
> > being invisible and deeply present, the facilitator is energiziing a
> > long link to - a potential outside the network.  . a space meta to
the
> > network?.. a link to enspiritng energy that is the source of all new
> > creative potential???
> > And then I wonder too, why in so many spiritual traditions, the link
> > the teacher is considered critical... another long link?
> > Meg Salter
> >
> > MegaSpace Consulting
> > (416) 486-6660
> > meg at megsalter.com

Substituting

http://www.contextmag.com/setFrameRedirect.asp?src=/archives/199903/Digi
> > talStrategy.asp
> >
> > I sometimes like to do the math before meetings to use the figures
> > explain the amount of potential in the room. Walking the circle,
> > uttering the second principle about whatever happens, I sometimes
say
> > "and if you don't believe me, understand this:  The twenty of you in
> > this room can form yourselves in over one million permutations, so
don't
> > be too worried about what might have been.work with what is."
> >
> > And Harrison, I've often thought of responsibility not so much as an
> > initial condition, but more as a kind of boundary that both enables
and
> > bounds the passion.  Passion and responsibility have a symbiotic
> > relationship in Open Space, but my experience has been that people
> > discover their responsibility AFTER they tap their passion.  In
other
> > words, without passion as the initial condition, it's less likely
that
> > people will feel like they need to propose a topic, much less
convene a
> > conversation or follow up.  But people motivated by passion can seem
> > do anything.  Reminding them that the CAN do anything (with the Law
of
> > Two Feet) certainly helps.
> >
> > ---
> > CHRIS CORRIGAN
> > Bowen Island, BC, Canada
> > http://www.chriscorrigan.com
> > chris at chriscorrigan.com
> > (604) 947-9236

Space
> > works. Actually it's a big part of why the world works :o)
> >
> > Mark Buchanan has written an excellent and highly readable book
called
> > "Small world" on this very new and very promising science. I've
reviewed
> > it here: http://www.kjerulf.com/journal/00000214.htm .
> >
> > Obvious parallels between small world networks and open space
gatherings
> > include:
> > * Small world networks are highly adaptable, yet very stable - as
are
> > Open Space gatherings
> > * The structure in small worlds networks arises without central
planning
> > - as in OS
> > * Bumblebees can be seen as "weak connections" between tightly knit
> > groups - one of the main reasons that small world networks are
tightly
> > knit
> >
> > Right on! Despite the fact that some folks think they actually
organize
> > networks, I think the truth of the matter is that they happen all by
> > themselves in the way of all self-organizing systems. The critical
point
> > of initiation is the convergence of passion and responsibility --
> > somebody cares about something and takes responsibility to talk to
> > others who might share the care. If the fire of passion ignites --
you
> > have a network. If it fizzles and goes out in a puff of smoke, you
don't
> > -- and no amount of huffing and puffing will make any difference.
Sounds
> > a lot like Open Space to me.  All of which relates, I guess, to
Artur's