Facilitator "opening" the space and other things to let go of

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at snafu.de
Sat Nov 22 14:49:39 PST 2003

Dear Ashley,
in fact, participants still smile or chuckle even when I do not use
the word "principle".
And, as it turns out, they really are facts of life and are known to
everyone, they are not really "new" and still are startling.
For one (the second one) I have found, been pointed at,
"folk-sayings" in German that express it very well and if there are
century-old phrases chances are high that it is knowledge or wisdom
long known.
I imagine there are common phrases for every one of the principles in
all languages and eventually we will stumble over them.
What is new, I think is the Law. The way I introduce it is like this:
I honor a group with my absence if I neither learn nor contribute.
(which is pretty close to the original, I think). And of course, the
butterflies and bumble bees. And the admonition.
As far as structure under which we operate is concerned: the power
and elegance and ease of selforganized structure that unfolds in open
space-technology meetings always amazes me. What amazes me even more
is the complete disinterest of the participants to see, acknowledge,
cherish, appreciate or otherwise take note of that self-created
structure. I have come to believe that it is one of my facilitator
hangups wanting them to see it.
greetings from berlin
mmp

--Original Message Text---
From: Ashley Cooper
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 16:36:43 -0800

hi michael,

.and to no longer call those 4 things
> principles but "experiences" or "facts of life".

how do people respond to this? one of the things that attracted me to
ost was its ability to communicate something "new" to people that are
accustomed to the "old ways". many people seem to like rules,
priciples, and guidelines under which to work. by having the 4
principles and 1 rule, people that are resistant to freedom have a
little comfort (illusion) that they are not completely on their own.
there is some "structure" under which we are all operating. to
acknowledge the priciples as "facts of life" seems to be a HUGE leap
for some. i am humored when i share the priciples with someone and
they release this nervous chuckle along with "hmmm, those are
interesting."

curious and interested,
ashley

Noch 15 Plätze zu vergeben zur 3. Lernwerkstatt für open space-BegleiterInnen vom 25. bis 28. Januar 2004 in Vlotho. Jetzt anmelden   www.michaelmpannwitz.de/o_lernwerkstatt2004.htm

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
FON: +49 - 30-772 8000   FAX: +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de