Working in rural areas

Mee Peng Toh meepengt at TM.NET.MY
Wed Nov 19 09:28:48 PST 2003

Hello all,

Recently, I hosted an 'improvised' Open Space in the annual leadership
seminar for AIESEC (www.aiesec.org, an international student-run
organisation focuses on youth learning through work placement abroad) young
members in Malaysia.

I posted the intention and invited those who had topics to come to the
front of the plenary and announced the topics. One came out and announced
it. The 2nd came, the 3rd came... I made all stood in front and announced
their topics again. Then I assigned some spots in the hall for discussion.
The rest of the people joined in.

It was a total disaster and quite massive in hosting the space, as it was
the first time for members to expose to 'free-flow/open' discussion. I
didnt introduce the 4 principles, but only The Law of Two Feet. No report
was generated.
However, we received positive comments because people could discuss what
they wanted and moved around easily. Some even asked to have more open
space for discussion. I agree with John's documentation that "it is more
important to feel and be together than it is to write it down", especially
in introducing OS for the first time in a fixed, closed and controlled
environment.

A young Malaysian, a participant in Art of Hosting May 2003 and Learning
Village 2003 in Slovenia,
Mee