A duty to take part?

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 05:17:45 PST 2003

Doug -- this is a subject we have been around on several times -- and I
doubt there ever will be THE ANSWER. But here are some thoughts. First
off I would note that Freire is speaking specifically about "educators"
-- and certainly in Open Space education (in the deepest sense of that
word) does take place. But with a difference from the usual I think.
Education in Open Space is something the people do for themselves -- and
not something done to them. For me the role of the facilitator is to
keep the space open so they can do their job. Does that mean that the
facilitator never contributes? Certainly not -- but I always find less
is best. This is fortunate, especially when you have 2000 people all
speaking German, dealing with a subject beyond my expertise (Wuerzburg).

harrison