A duty to take part?

scochran at leadershipresults.org scochran at leadershipresults.org
Wed Nov 5 13:56:14 PST 2003

Douglas -

This is a conundrum. Thank you for shining light on
what is very much (and always)a personal challenge.

In confronting that challenge in Open Space, I
constantly speak (in planning, in the Space itself, and
afterward) that "we" are all learners, "we" are all
participants, "we" will create a conference that
reflects "our" passions about the theme, that "we" have
the option and the responsibility to get into action,
etc., etc.

Most useful (for me) is participating fully in the
sessions, usually as as butterfly. This helps me engage
and participate as well as hold the space - and form
relationships as co-participants, not as
facilitator-to-facilitated.

Our actions and words are our leadership, whether in OS
or in "real" life.

Thanks to all who have helped me learn and grow
immeasurably through this site.

I'm holding a Space on Monday, Nov. 10 in Washington DC
for 100 cross-sector leaders in the Sustainability
field.  Our theme is "Planning for a US Decade of
Education for Sustainability".  This is in response to
the United Nations resolution for a world-wide Decade
for the same goal.  I'm very nervous and will
appreciate positive thoughts, energy and any concrete
suggestions.

Thanks again, Douglas for raising an important
question.

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:49:44 -0500, "Douglas D. Germann,
Sr." wrote:

> Hi--
>
> In _The Paulo Freire Reader_ is a challenging new
> insight for me into what
> we are about:
>
> This is the new point for me, the facilitator must not
> withhold what
> knowledge he or she has: has in fact a duty to share,
> so that the inquiry
> might be carried forward. The facilitator is learner,
> too. A co-learner, a
> co-facilitator.
>
> Freire (p 221): "Educators cannot refrain from putting
> forward ideas, nor
> can they refrain either from engaging in discussion
> with their students on
> the ideas they have put forward. Basically, this has
> do with the near
> mystery of the praxis of educators who live out their
> democratic insights:
> they must affirm themselves without thereby
> disaffirming their students."
>
> Democratic in this excerpt has for me the same meaning
> as opening space:
> Whoever comes, Whatever happens, and the unvoiced
> Whoever speaks has an
> equal claim to being heard.
>
> So what does this say about our trying to stay
neutral,
> to staying out of
> the discussions, to how we understand what it means to
> "hold space?"
>
> It means I can take part, I might in fact have a duty
> to take part, but I
> have to be careful that it does not result in people
> taking me to be the
> authority. So my work needs to be questioning,
> questioning myself as much
> as concepts, stating through my questioning that I do
> not have answers, but
> am a seeker with them. There needs to be a way to
> proceed without shutting
> down the procession! So go slow, interject only
little.

> Ask questions, in an attitude of exploration. Do not
> direct, but do say
> what I have seen of the terrain.
>
> What do you think?
>
>                               :-Doug. Germann

> Visit:

Steve Cochran
Executive Director
Int'l Centre for Leadership Results,
in collaboration with Gettysburg College
Gettysburg PA 17325
717-486-4072
SCochran at LeadershipResults.org
www.LeadershipResults.org