Open Space Dissertations/Thesis/Journals

Martin Leith martin at martinleith.com
Mon Nov 17 01:54:17 PST 2003

Larry,

Some time in 1996 I was part of a team that convened a three and a half day
Open Space conference on The Future of Management and Organisation
Development. The sponsor was University of Brighton, and one of the
participants was Jeff Gold, at the time editor of a journal called Career
Development International (ISSN: 1362-0436). He subsequently devoted an
entire issue of CDI (1996, Volume 1, Number 4) to the conference
proceedings, with papers written by some of the session convenors. I've just
done a Google search - here's a link to the essay that I contributed
("Organizational change and large group interventions" - you need to be a
CDI subscriber to access it, or pay US$15.00 plus handling charge of
US$3.80):
http://ninetta.emeraldinsight.com/vl=4354379/cl=85/nw=1/rpsv/~1142/v1n4/s3/p
19

I'm sorry to report that I've thrown away my file copy of the issue
concerned, but here are the email addresses of two of my three organising
team colleagues - still friends! - who may be able to help you:

David Megginson, Professor of HRD, Sheffield Hallam University
<d.f.megginson at shu.ac.uk>
Tom Bourner, Professor of Personal and Professional Development, University
of Brighton <t.bourner at bton.ac.uk>

The third person was Suzanne O'Hara (at the time working for University of
Brighton).

I hope this is helpful, and wish you success!

Martin

www.martinleith.com
www.leithworks.com Free value creation resources

----------------

Help Please!

I am putting together a list of materials about OST for the
"Collaborative Research" event at the end of the month.  I know there
are many things I do not know about.

I do know of the following unpublished Dissertations or Master's Thesis
by

Biver, Nancie: An Approach to Community-University Partnerships:
Discoveries on the Road to America's Promise,
Dixon, Elaine. "Open Space Technology: A Large-Group Approach to
Whole-System Change".
Norris, Richard. "A Grounded Theory Study On The Value Associated With
Using Open Space Technology",
Olsen, Linda. "Open Space Technology and Self-Organization: A Case
Study,
Walker Daniel, Marlene. An Ethnographic Study of an Open Space
Technology Meeting: Self-Organization at Work.

Have you written or do you know of others at the Masters or Doctoral
Level? Would you send me the author, title, University, location and
date?

Also, do you know of any articles about OST in "refereed" journals --
academic journals?  I know there have been many popular articles but I
hunch not many in refereed ones that look specifically at Open Space
from a "research" perspective.  Again, I would like the full citation.

I'll make the bibliography I'm developing available to all of you when
it's ready.

The results I mentioned previously on the list of the positive
contribution of a change processes using "Open Space" on an Employee
Survey are really quite stunning and I am writing that one up with my
wife (an academic) so that will hopefully be a contribution when its
done.

Thanks!

Larry

Larry Peterson