the OST-Healing Metaphor...

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Sat May 31 09:27:12 PDT 2003

Chris (and Chris) and others -

Part of my background / experience is in HIV/AIDS education.  Here is
what we teach regarding the treatment approaches for that virus.  A note
that you cannot 'cure' a virus - you therefore treat in three ways at
once for the best approach to maintaining health:

- Anti-virus
medications which inhibit the virus from reproducing itself and from
attaching to healthy immune system cells

- Anti Opportunistic Infections
medications that act proactively to ensure that - if you get an
infection (specific to a damaged immune system because that immune
system cannot recognize infection) you will get a milder case of that
infection, not a life-threatening case

- Immune enhancement
medications and other approaches, from spiritual to emotional to herbal
(which I also classify as medications) to natural approaches such as
acupuncture or bodywork, to exercise to nutrition to community support
and connection - to help the whole body do its own work against the
virus in as robust a way as possible.

I share that with you because in looking back over it I can see many
metaphors and also literal applications to/of/for what Open Space and
other good work does in organizations / communities / systems to keep
them healthy *even when* they are sick, and to prevent further
life-challenging illness.

My two pesos/rubles/cents,

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t