AW: 2108 -- Remember the Number

Christiane Hoinka, Hans-Georg Wicke C.Hoinka-H.G.Wicke at t-online.de
Wed May 7 15:25:55 PDT 2003

Dear Birgitt,
dear Harrison (nice to meet you virtually again!)

together with 10 other wonderful people I was assisting in this
extraordinary OS. As an assistant I had the chance to get a lot of (probably
additional) impressions, no testimonials, but some stories:

In a corner of one of the two big tents we had our "Doku-Centre". During the
whole time there was at least one of us to copy the reports which were
brought by participants. They gave us a lot of feedback or brief comments.
Without any exception I got only positive reactions like "Very good that you
have done this", "very positive experience", "unbelievable".
At the same time a lot of people have been seeking for orientation. Most of
them with a very clear idea where they wanted to go and asking "where is
workshop number XX?" In the very beginning a lot of people (and after a
while nearly nobody) have been asking for clarification about procedure and
time schedules. At the end we had a lot of requests whether the reports will
be published in internet. There was only one kind of complaint in the moment
somebody was looking for a workshop but the group left the place without
leaving any information where to find.
When being in the "Doku-Centre" we had a very good overview of the 35
break-out rooms, which had been prepared in that tent. During the whole time
all break-out rooms have been crowded, with people working very actively and
obviously having a lot of fun. Surprisingly in all this chaos they took a
lot of care about the report forms - asking for additional paper, german or
english versions or clipboards.
The most surprising thing was that people got organised their own rooms in
two fully packed tents without getting too confused or annoyed. We had
prepared 50 rooms, during the opening of the OS we prepared 10 others - all
in all for 180 workshops. At the end 230 issues have been announced. A lot
of break-out rooms were double booked and the people decided where to go or
what to do. Others created there own meeting places and announced them or
wrote it down on their issue papers ("outside at the tree", "in the centre
of the circle", "at the butterfly").
There have been also people being too late with their issue but encouraged
of the whole. One hissed a flag at the big ballons with an A3 paper, another
one walked around with a paper on his back to announce a group and indicate
the self created place for the workshop (this group got such a big interest
that it was working during the whole OS in 4 rounds).

Hans-Georg Wicke