OS of 2108 -- I was there

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed May 7 11:39:16 PDT 2003

Thanks, Erich, for your thoughtful questions about the logistics of very
large meetings.

In the largest OS I have participated in, 700 or 800, I remember that it was
very hard to get close enough to the wall to find out what sessions I wanted
to attend. Some good sessions were posted but not attended even by people who
had intended to come, because they could not find the information or the
meeting place.

And I can also see that some of the other structures need further thought and
design attention.

On the other hand, just being present in such a meeting really stretches
people's thinking about the possibility of doing things they could not have
predicted.  So I think that the positive outcomes are a bit different than a
meeting which focusses on the issues of a smaller organization, in more
specific ways.

I struggled with the question of flip charts for a very small OS I
facilitated, decided not to use them because of the strange configuration of
the rooms. It worked out all right, though I missed the ability to make the
discussion visible to all participants.  Each group did a great job of
summarizing their discussion on a handwritten report form.

Joelle