Open Space ,Self-Organizing Systems, and The Plexus Institute (and Krishnamurti)

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Thu May 29 09:44:10 PDT 2003

Awesome, as always, Michael..... let me pick up on one thin strand.  You
said:

springing from healing, related by etymology and by varela to what might
be called 'wholing'... it seems important that any study would embody (i
love that word, peggy) a state of no separation between those studying
and those being studied.  springing from what glory says, i think it's
essential that ost be studied from *within*.
<<<

My recent reading has included Krishnamurti, who speaks passionately
about dissolving that separation (within ourselves) between observer and
observed.  When we separate those two aspects of ourselves (the part
observing separated from the part being observed), then we are, by
definition, separated.  Inwardly, we've separated ourselves into two
aspects: the observer and the observed.  The choice to perceive an
observer separate from the observed necessarily removes us from the
being/acting space of Oneness we keep talking about, and so we find
ourselves being/acting from a place of separation.

One learning for me was a deeper understanding of that elusive Oneness.
Krishnamurti helped me grasp a little more deeply concepts of
acceptance, nonresistance, and deeply entering into the Now (as he says,
the "what is") as necessary attributes to radical transformation of our
lives.  He helped me see that entering deeply into "what is" means
entering it exactly as it is, without attempting to hide from, change,
improve, or sanitize the "what is."

Interestingly, Krishnamurti also speaks at length about conflict.  He
teaches that separation necessarily results in conflict, which means our
personal decision to dissolve that separation between observer and
observed is necessary to transcend conflict.  This seems consistent with
all that Harrison and others have said about OST and conflict.  OST
invites an individual/group state of being and acting that approaches
that space of inner and outer Oneness.  In giving permission for each
individual to honestly and openly express "what is" from their point of
view (to reach a state of inner Oneness), the group comes closer to a
collective state of inner/outer Oneness, which results in that
dissolving of conflict that Harrison has talked about.  Or something
like that.

Julie