Open Space ,Self-Organizing Systems, and The Plexus Institute

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Mon May 26 06:45:03 PDT 2003

When it come to dealing with the interesting question: Why does Open
Space  Work? -- I have found the emerging theory and practice surrounding
Self organization to be very helpful. Not the only help to be sure, but
definitely on the short list. I also confess to a degree of frustration --
that to the moment, few in the larger scientific community have taken any
notice or interest in Open Space. I think this is a lose/lose situation. We
lose because their insights and questions might reveal aspects of Open
Space that we have failed to notice. And I think they lose because, from
where I sit, Open Space is a wonderful natural experiment over time and in
the present. Over time, we have probably some 20,000 iterations of the
"experiment" from which to learn. Since most of us were more interested in
the practical results than "doing science" detailed accounts are hard to
come by. but we do have a network, and it does have a memory. And what we
may have lost as a matter of historical record can be replicated any time
someone chooses to open space.

Anyhow, it may happen that the Plexus Institute  becomes a useful
intermediary. Those of you who were in OZ for OSONOS will remember Henri
Lipmanowicz who is chairman of the Institute and came to OZ to find out
about Open Space. The mission of the Institute is to discover and foster
the application of principles of self-organization to the real world of
human systems, particularly health care systems. Since OZ, Henri and I have
had a number of conversations, and I attended a conference they sponsored
in Austin TX -- which was most interesting and definitely neither Open
Space nor self-organizing. But one thing is sure, Plexus did manage to
attract substantive folks from multiple disciplines and some useful
conversations have started.

My conversations with Henri will continue, and hopefully move from talk to
action. Which brings me to the point (at long last) of this note. What sort
of actions, questions, explorations occur to you which might be pursued
with Plexus. Henri, Curt (The president) and I will be conversing next
week, and I will let you know the outcome -- but if any burning, passionate
issues or opportunities jump to your mind -- let me know.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA