Access Queen Invites you... (long)

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Thu May 1 18:02:16 PDT 2003

Access Queen Invites You to Dream and Share.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Access Queen was dreamed up at the 9th OSonOS in Vancouver as a way to
share news of who has and who needs resources to get to our annual
global gatherings so that people of lower financial abilities and from
faraway countries may attend.  I volunteered to take this role and
Laurel Doersam later named me Access Queen.  Last year our sharing of
dreams and resources got *six* people to our gathering in Melbourne,
including our esteemed colleagues from India and Haiti.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

DREAM
of joining us at the 11th Annual Open Space on Open Space on the island
of Fyn, Denmark -- August 23-26, 2003 -- for Open Space facilitators and
enthusiasts from around the world to join together in-person for sharing
opportunities and issues reflecting our passions.

ACT
on making that dream come true.

REGISTER
for the gathering at  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/osonos>
http://www.openspaceworld.org/osonos
READ
the registration and information materials there and see what you need
to put together as a picture of what it will cost you.
REMEMBER
to add up the amount of money you will need for air ticket,
accommodation and registration, pocket money, ground transportation
(such as train and taxi from airport).

You may wish to use a Currency Converter at  <http://www.xe.com/ucc/>
http://www.xe.com/ucc/   One place I use to shop for air tickets is
<http://cheaptickets.com/> http://cheaptickets.com

- - - - - - - - - - - -
*** Don't have the financial ability to join us but would like to? ***
- - - - - - - - - - - -

BECOME
an Access Queen "Asker".

BELIEVE in yourself as I believe in you.  Have the courage to ask for
support - to jump into the unknown and find that your community will
catch you.  Put together a picture of what you will need to actualize
your dream.  CONTACT me and I will help you ask your potential funders,
*including* our colleagues on the OSLIST who may have resources to
share.  I will post messages on the OSLIST with and for you to help you
ask, either by name or anonymously.  Email me at lisaheft at pacbell.net

Each 'asker' is encouraged to *generate funding from multiple sources*
rather than asking one source to cover all your expenses.  Think of
funding in clusters, in a way: travel money/assistance,
accommodation/registration assistance, homestay assistance, pocket money
- and perhaps ask each different source to contribute the funds for a
different part.  It helps to write up a proposal which you can give to
the organizations and individuals you from which you are requesting
funding assistance.  You can find an example of such a request at:
[I'll let Michael Herman post this and let you know the link].

SEND
your Request for Funding to every organization or community coalition or
group of friends you can think of to raise the funds.

You may wish to also ask for some assistance with travel moneys from the
Open Space Institute of the USA -- you can use an adapted version of the
proposal I mention above to include how your request fits within the
guidelines of OSI(US) funding activities:  to support underserved areas;
to provide support that is leveraged to reach multiple people; to match
recipients' actions and resources with OSI-US actions and funds; to have
a commitment from the recipient to share the story of their OST
experience.  For proposals sent to OSI(US) (at usa at openspaceworld.org )
please be sure to send your request for support by *before* June 23;
OSI(US) will return decisions by the latest July 23.

When you do join us in Denmark,
BRING
your art work / writing / folk art from your country/culture to sell at
the OSonOS Global Village Marketplace to help raise additional money for
your expenses or to put into next year's Access Queen fund.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
***Do you feel like you can afford it and are thinking of coming? Or
even thinking of *not* coming?***
SHARE
your resources with an Access Queen Asker.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

RENEW or BEGIN
your membership in the Open Space Institute of the USA.  OSI(US) will
then have more funds to share with Askers who send in proposals - we may
be able to help some with travel expenses. OSI(US) members include
colleagues from Switzerland, Haiti, Canada, Germany, Denmark, Scotland,
Japan, Australia, France, England, Republic of China (Taiwan), and the
US.  And you, as well?
http://www.openspaceworld.org/wiki/wiki/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceInstituteUSA

SHARE
your Frequent Flyer miles with an Asker - contact me to find out who has
asked.

When you register for OSonOS,
PAY FOR
*2* accommodations and / or *2* registrations and let me know that you
have done so - we'll give it to an Asker and you can either remain
anonymous or be introduced to your Asker.

BRING
an envelope which has in it POCKET MONEY for an Asker.  Let me know you
will be bringing this (this will help us know how much more our Askers
need to raise) and I can make sure it gets to an Asker.

SEND or BRING
your art work / writing / folk art from your country to sell at OSonOS
Global Village Marketplace (the tables we will be setting up for showing
and selling your items from around the world) to help raise money for
next year's Access Queen fund.

DONATE
any amount of money to the Access Queen fund by mailing me a check which
I shall put into a special account.

Let us see what happens when we each put a potato, a carrot or a bit of
onion into the rich and nutritious broth we can co-create to bring the
flavors of diversity and access to this year's OSonOS.  That and a
little aquavit should make for a marvelous experience.

Lisa Heft
(also known as Access Queen)
lisaheft at pacbell.net