organizing protests?

Ted Ernst ted at chicagohumanist.org
Wed May 28 16:55:52 PDT 2003

I haven't read this list in a while, but have over 600 messages in my OSlist
folder.  Wow!  I'm writing now to follow-up on a conversation I had with
Michael Herman last week which was itself a follow-up to a conversation I
had with some peace and justice activists earlier last week.  My experience
in all sorts of anti-war organizing meetings is they are horrible, boring,
inefficient, etc, just like meetings in other setting where people attempt
to maintain control.  I've never attempted to introduce open space there
because there has never seemed to be an entry point.  The "players" are well
established and making the proposal would immediately put me in a position
of co-opting what they've already built and just doesn't feel right.
Anyway, a smaller group has come together as a network of "affinity groups"
where each group is autonomous but sends a representative to the
coordinating meeting.  I think this should definitely be done in open space,
but again, how to propose it in a way that doesn't threaten?  Michael
suggests having a meeting on a different day and time and place and inviting
everyone from the coordinating meeting as well as the members of all the
groups (if possible).  Any thoughts on how to propose this type of meeting?
Topic?  Invititaion ideas?  All thoughts welcome!  Thanks much!
peace,
ted
___
Humanize the Earth! http://www.chicagohumanist.org http://www.tedernst.com