The Practice of Peace in a Time of Chaos

Elena A. Marchuk marco at mail.nsk.ru
Sun Mar 30 20:19:01 PST 2003

Dear Harrison,
I would order your book if I could, but meanwhile I'm doing a report about my visit to US in February, when I visited 4 Rotary clubs and made a small (4 hours) OS in Sacramento "Rotary in Russia: looking to the future" (questions and opportunities) (with Lisa Heft presence and great help! thank you dear Lisa!) and have come to writing about Open Space of Rotary.

As you probably know Rotary includes 1,2 mln people from different countries, it is a non-government, non-religious, non-political organization and it was organized in 1905 in Chicago at the time of 'wild' capitalism as we call it, don't know about you, but it looks like that we have a sort of such event like it was at that time in our country NOW, so thinking of social problems, of social non-adapted people, and just ... thinking is a good thing to do, ah?

so Rotary has it's good traditions, and good organization based on the 'rules' of the good organization and we now are, well, not struggling but trying to persuade sometimes that we need Leadership workshop combine with the overall conference of all willing rotarians, as it is difficult sometimes to gather twice in a year and that sort of things. and... to add Open Space - which you know is a very awful without-a-plan-activity, which is frightening all the bosses... so I was honoured to be called a PIONEER in bringing OS in Rotary and I think that Rotary IS the OS organization, which just misses the OS Technology!

one of the objects of Rotary is The Advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.

Rotary is an open, worldwide organization with the 4-way test
1/ Is it the truth?
2/ is it fair to all concerned?
3/Will it build goodwill and better friendship?
4/will it be beneficial to all concerned?

I think that  Rotary and OS are just twins in reaching mutual understanding and defining interests of people, otherwise - the Law of Two Feet is working!!!! Rotary just missed OS and now we are more and more working with it!

next Rotary in Russia workshop is supposed to be in S-Petersburg, and not in February, but may be in May - to see white nights of North of Russian West-North, so I hope that we include West European countries in our OS community.

my report is in English and it discribes just our visits and my  thoughts and it is in Russian... sorry, but it really gives me some ideas of the peace and methods you are working with. Im still very sorry that I could not participate in your workshop in Estonia, as I was on my way to it...

best wishes

elena