Inviting the Competition ?

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed Mar 12 19:54:52 PST 2003

Gerard--

I love this story!

I worked off and on over several years with a client which was a research and
development group, and at one point someone wanted to invite people outside
the organization to participate in an idea-generating session.  The top
management and their legal counsel were quite upset at the very
suggestion--this organization was quite paranoid about trade secrets escaping
into the world.

I thought, like you, that the potential benefits were greater than the risks.
 In the end, they invited researchers from several different project teams
within the company.  In the meeting, I observed members of other project
teams getting very excited, and taking lots of notes--they were hearing
things that they could use in their own projects.  Apparently in their focus
on confidentiality, they did not even encourage any sharing of information
between groups within the company!

Hooray for you for helping them find a way to be comfortable working with
their competitors--sounds like it was very productive and rewarding!

Joelle