waging peace, and party

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Tue Mar 25 23:48:39 PST 2003

hi all, this is one of the most heartening pieces of news
i've seen in while.  at a time when so many are wondering
'what can we do?' my friend patricia is doing something,
continuing something, truly amazing and powerful.  join her
if you like, or just enjoy knowing that little things like
this are still happening.  seems to me that this is what
peace looks like.  she tells me that you're all invited to
the party, even if you can't contribute right now.  if
nothing else, i hope you'll find this as heartening as i
do.  patricia came to one of harrison's trainings here in
chicago some time ago, but i'd say she's a natural.  check
this out...

michael

----

patricia deer wrote:

  Hi Dear Friends,

  Come see an industrial size SOLAR oven in action on South
Boulevard beach.
  These babies can do 400 loaves of bread a day, sterilize
medical instaments
  and boil water.

  The fun news is I just bought it.  There is a town in
Angola that needs it
  to provide jobs for their child soldiers, and to help
people have a source
  of cooking fuel so they so not have to go out and gather
firewood. ( A
  dangerous task since the town was under seige for nine
months by Unita
  during the war, and also a problem causing deforestation
and ecological
  degradation.)

  The hard news is I put $10,500 on my credit card to buy
it.  I took this
  risk for two reasons:  a container was leaving for Africa
at the end of
  this month and since truck size containers that go aboard
ships cost $9000
  to send, it seemed foolish to have to pay shipping charges
again.  Secondly
  I knew I could count on wonderful friends like you to help
me raise the money.

  So, bring whatever you  would like baked.  They cook very
fast.  We will
  have a good time and learn about this new technology.
Guerra and his lovely
  Angolan wife Rosa will do some Angolan music.  May the sun
shine!  But we
  will party rain or shine.  It has a back-up propane tank.

  Come on over April 5 at 3:00 to South Boulevard Beach, in
front of Patricia
  Deer's at 550 Sheridan Square.  This beach is in Evanston
just 3 - 4 blocks
  north of Howard and east of Sheridan Road. If coming by
el, get off the
  Evanston train at the first stop, South Boulevard.  If you
need info call
  Patricia at 847 328 6678.

  The most important part of this project is not just what
it will do
  initially, but that as people get used to, and like this
technology (and
  easy it is), it can become a prototype.  Then we can try
to get a micro
  loan for this town to establish a factory to manufacture
these and sell
  them all over Africa.

  The background of this project::::::::::
  Six years ago I met Guerra Freitas in Sierra Leon where I
was teaching
  conflict resolution.  He was a jewel of a person and
wanted desparately to
  come to the US to study since the infrastructure in his
country, Angola,
  was so destroyed by the decades of war (Angola was one of
the pawns in the
  cold war game.  We sent in soldiers and mines to try and
get rid of the
  Communist leaning government and Cuba responded by sending
Che Gueverra and
  the boys.  Both sides put so many guns on the field, that
even when we were
  done and didn't care any more, the two sides kept fighting
over the HUGE
  reserves of oil and diamonds.)

  So I sponsored Guerra as a student.  He graduated last
year Valedictorian.
  He has also put enormous energy into a 501-c3 organization
called
  Sharecircle to help Angola.  You can check in out at
http://www.sharecircle.org.

  IF you can not come but would like to contribute by
sending a fishing pole
  instead of a fish, you can make your check out to
Sharecircle. You will get
  a receipt for tax deduction.  Send to Patricia Deer,  550
Sheridan Square,
  3A, Evanston, Il.  60202.

  Some of you have already been generous, and this party is
one way to thank
  you.

  Thank you for caring, may it come back to you in spades,
Patricia

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates