Myths of Empowerment

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Wed Mar 5 06:40:48 PST 2003

To our good friends--

Some say OST is about invitation.

This then is your invitation to join in a mutual exploration and interview
between Chris Corrigan and me all next week, March 10th through the 15th on
http://www.FootprintsintheWind.com in the Gathering Place Discussion Forum.

This mutual exploration and interview grows out of our discussion on the
oslist about decolonization, de-schooling, and such. What are the myths of
empowerment? Chris has suggested: 1. that one can be empowered by others; 2.
that constraints are disempowering; and 3. that only special people are
empowered. I might add 4. that a myth is untrue.

The way this mutual exploration and interview will work is that Monday
morning I will post a question for Chris. He will then respond, and then
anybody who wants to (and nobody has to) is invited to post a question or
observation or insight for either or both or all of us to take us the next
step.

Our hope is to extend our understanding of this concept "empowerment" and
perhaps even plow some new ground.

Please join us and see where we can go, together.

                              :-Doug. Germann

PS: The lead-off article from Chris to provide some background is already
posted at
http://www.footprintsinthewind.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=GatheringPlac
e&Number=4205&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

You could take a look and perhaps even offer some starting points for our
multi-logue!

                              :-Doug.