living in closed space

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun Jun 29 21:45:28 PDT 2003

Mike--

Are you using Open Space with the fishermen?  It would be a place where they
could voice their griefs, and maybe find some solutions that would help.

I spent many weeks working with land use issues with the people who owned the
forests, the gravel mines, the farms.  They were being forced to accept new
regulations to protect both the resources and the environment.  The groups did
agree on some new policy recommendations (which got lost in the political
process).

But whatever the outcomes, I knew the process was working when people began
looking out for the other guy's interest!  It helped a lot to hear someone else
voice his fears and griefs.

Open Space does this a lot better than the process we were using, which was
in place and underway before I was hired.  I hope you are able to try it, if
you haven't already.

Good luck--

Joelle Everett
Shelton, Washington USA