Pattern Languages

Artur Ferreira da Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Thu Jun 26 14:04:29 PDT 2003

At 19:23 25-06-2003 -0500, Michael Herman wrote:
>hi all...
>
>anybody here on the list done any thinking about how ost syncs up with
>the work on pattern languages and the nature of order by chris alexander
>and the agile/xp software development crowd?
>
>seems to directly parallel complexity and ost work we usually talk about
>here.   i've written a paper on this today that is in the Notebook at
>http://www.globalchicago.net.

Dear Michael:

Your reflexion on the relation between Pattern languages and OST is very
interesting. I have printed the page and will read it carefully during the
weekend. I am sure you are up something important and very interesting. And
I am unhappy that I have not thought about that relation myself :-(((

A friend and ex-coworker of mine introduced me to Chris Alexander concepts
on patterns many years ago, and I have used some of them in my consultacy
practice on "Organizational Information Systems Architecture", namely the
ideia of "center of centers" and wholeness. Another friend recently
reminded me of the importance of wholeness. So I am very interested in your
observations.

And also on Reinhard's observations:

>At 12:09 26-06-2003 +0200, Visuelle Protokolle wrote:
>
>He went on speaking about the brain and where we store words and pictures
>and experiences, and then he took a pencil and wrote: A  B  C   and said:
>that means ART   and  BUSINESS   and   CULTURAL REPATTERNING ! That is what
>you do, he said. And he gave us something to chew on, I tell you.
>
>I looked up the unknown word REPATTERNING in the web, and found it is used
>for therapies, mainly 'Holographic Repatterning', a holistic approach, with
>many links to Meditation, Bach Flowers, Yoga etc., and an International
>Association.

I have been trying to understand OST not as a tool to increment what is
already present in the organization, but as something to invite the new in
a currently mostly closed organization. How to transform (metanoia) an
ordinary organization in a open and learning one. And now the expression
"cultural reppaterning" seems a very adequate desciption of what the OST
foundation allow in a meeting or organization at large. And even the
"healing methaphor" sounds very adequqate to the way I see OST working.

Now, on a completelly different subject, Michael - we must think more
carefully how we shall inter-relate the discussions in the OSLIST and the
co-development of the new wiki look of the site at www.openspaceworld.org.
Until now you are practically the only architect and builder of the site,
and you are kind enough to inform us of important inovations (even if I
would prefer to be directed directly to the page
http://www.globalchicago.net/wiki/wiki.cgi?PatternLanguage) But I think
that in the future we willl need some sort of automatic information in the
list of the major improvements in the site. I think this would be important
to allow us to "comment" on the site, but knowing that we would not loose
the push-style of conection of a listserv. Is this possible?

Regards

Artur