Too Little Time

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Sat Jun 14 07:01:15 PDT 2003

Hello Julie,

I agree with Larry.  I would tend to try to get enough time to be able
to have two short rounds exept for one especially if the group is large.

I remember when I started I sort of refused to do an Open Space when I
felt there was too little time.

Now I find myself asking myself (and then my client) too little time for
what ?
In many cases, it turns out there is either more time than it appears at
first sight,
or the client decides that if what you can do with 2 hours is (a), with
6 hours (b), with lunch-to lunch (c) and so on, 2 hours isn't quite
enough.

I give some examples of where I generally find available time is hiding
trying to prevent us (the client and myself) from spotting it:

- key-note speakers who really do not need to pretend to discuss with
the audience, because there is the Open Space after that;
- coffee breaks which do not need to be organised because a long coffee
break is coming;
- lunch breaks which can be shortened because participants will take the
beraks they need;
- closing sessions which do not need to be held because the space will
be closed in the Open Space closing round
- VIPs who do not need to summarise because the group has summarised

Greetings from Denmark,

Gerard