AW: 2108 -- Remember the Number

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 12 13:16:30 PDT 2003

At 01:20 PM 6/12/2003 -0400, Birgitt Williams wrote:

>Your responses generated further questions and comments within me.

I guess they did!

>1. I was interested in both of you commenting that announcing the topics
>was an integral part of OST for you and that this was not on your list of
>"one more thing not to do". I would be very interested in what your lists
>of integral ingredients for a well done OST meeting are---not just the
>description in the User's Guide but what you actually do in your OST
>facilitation.

I don't know that I have much more/less than in the User's guide. but the
announcement is critical for me, and certainly not under the heading of one
more thing not to do.

>2. I was interested that Harrison notes that 1 1/2 hours for the
>opening/agenda/marketplace is standard and for Michael that a built in
>coffee time before the first session is standard. I had remembered being
>taught by Harrison to get this all done as quickly as possible and
>preferably in less than an hour so that the energy didn't diminish. It
>appears from your reporting that the energy doesn't diminish even with 2
>hours before the first session.

I try to move as quickly as possible in order to save time for coffee
before the first event. I think we come at the same place.

>3. Your design allowed you three session times. I would be very interested
>in hearing more about your decision making of having 3 rather than more
>session times and why you chose the length of time for each session that
>you did.

Michael chose the times -- but i certainly concurred. Having 1 and 1/2 hour
per session allowed for good conversation and also passage time to the next
group. Seemed to work.

>4. As I understand it, the agenda wall was the full use of three walls
>that were set up so that every meter there was a number posted, for the
>report number---this had the topics posted side by side and always
>allowing for a meter. How did you handle the space and time assignments
>with what you set up. And where on the wall did those extra topics that
>you had not counted on go? Do you have any recommendations for us about
>using this kind of organized agenda wall? Could people easily find the
>topics for any given time slot to see easily what the choices were to
>choose from--or did they have to walk along to read the three walls?

this was Michael's baby -- but basically there were three walls and three
session(times) One time per wall. The walls themselves were made out of 1
meter plastic frames, so spacing was pre-ordained. And people posted the
additional topics on one of the three walls (depending on their choice of time.

>5. Harrison, you note that one of the reasons you chose Michael to work
>with you is that he would do a good job of dealing with the logistics and
>of working effectively with the client. What work in your opinion does the
>facilitator (or in this case designate) take on regarding the logistics
>and what is expected in "dealing with the client"? And Michael, what was
>the pre-work that you had to do. How many meetings were involved and what
>kind of things did you need to cover and to get involved in? I think there
>was some brilliant decision making for some very difficult challenges such
>as the cushions on the floor, the balloons from which to hang the signs
>and so on.

I think what Michael brought to the party (outside of lots of experience)
was a great sense of humor and real playfulness. Without those two, we
probably wouldn't have gotten to balloons.

>6. What were the client expectations for this one day OST event? What were
>you assisting the client to achieve? I note in reading the reports that
>the reports themselves are often vague and probably mean something only to
>those who participated in that particular discussion (this is not unusual
>for OST reports unless the report form has more structure). Did the client
>expectations/goals get met not only for the event itself but expectations
>of what might emerge following the event?

Major objective, as I understood it was to provide a space/time for the
participants to synthesize their learning from the preceding 3 days -- and
if possible -- push on to something new. So the notes were very much aide
de memoire.

>7. I noted with great curiousity that you both did your own unique style
>of the opening rather than one being a translation of the other. I am
>fascinated to hear more about this because it taps right into the answer
>of the question of "what does it mean to open space?". Based on two
>different openings within the same group within the same time, there is
>clearly something that is in common that actually opens the space. Any
>comments that you have regarding this would be appreciated. I also know,
>having experienced each of you "opening space" that you each have VERY
>different energies and styles.

One thing for sure -- it is only marginally about the words. Some
instructions need to be given -- but from there on out it is a matter of
focus and launch. I always think about it as launching a ship. All you do
is pull the chocks, break the champagne, and let her rip. The launch pretty
much takes care of itself.

>8. I was also interested  by your comments, Harrison, regarding "Effective
>Open Space facilitation requires the subtle, conscious, and sensitive use
>of both." referring to the facilitator tapping into his/her male and
>female energy and the male/female energy in the group. I wonder if you
>could please say a little more regarding your assessment of "Effective
>Open Space Facilitation" rather than Ineffective Open Space Facilitation.
>Is it somehow tied into this male/female energy in your opinion?

I'll pass on this one -- I'm out of steam. but good question.

ho

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA