AW: 2108 -- Remember the Number

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 12 10:20:58 PDT 2003

Dear Harrison and Michael,
Thank you both for taking the time to respond so carefully. Although large
OST events are not unusual, you have certainly done the largest and I think
the only example of such a large one in only one day rather than a multi day
design. This event has given us all a chance to learn from you and your
experience and I think that there is more learning to be done.

Your responses generated further questions and comments within me.

1. I was interested in both of you commenting that announcing the topics was
an integral part of OST for you and that this was not on your list of "one
more thing not to do". I would be very interested in what your lists of
integral ingredients for a well done OST meeting are---not just the
description in the User's Guide but what you actually do in your OST
facilitation.
2. I was interested that Harrison notes that 1 1/2 hours for the
opening/agenda/marketplace is standard and for Michael that a built in
coffee time before the first session is standard. I had remembered being
taught by Harrison to get this all done as quickly as possible and
preferably in less than an hour so that the energy didn't diminish. It
appears from your reporting that the energy doesn't diminish even with 2
hours before the first session.
3. Your design allowed you three session times. I would be very interested
in hearing more about your decision making of having 3 rather than more
session times and why you chose the length of time for each session that you
did.
4. As I understand it, the agenda wall was the full use of three walls that
were set up so that every meter there was a number posted, for the report
number---this had the topics posted side by side and always allowing for a
meter. How did you handle the space and time assignments with what you set
up. And where on the wall did those extra topics that you had not counted on
go? Do you have any recommendations for us about using this kind of
organized agenda wall? Could people easily find the topics for any given
time slot to see easily what the choices were to choose from--or did they
have to walk along to read the three walls?
5. Harrison, you note that one of the reasons you chose Michael to work with
you is that he would do a good job of dealing with the logistics and of
working effectively with the client. What work in your opinion does the
facilitator (or in this case designate) take on regarding the logistics and
what is expected in "dealing with the client"? And Michael, what was the
pre-work that you had to do. How many meetings were involved and what kind
of things did you need to cover and to get involved in? I think there was
some brilliant decision making for some very difficult challenges such as
the cushions on the floor, the balloons from which to hang the signs and so
on.
6. What were the client expectations for this one day OST event? What were
you assisting the client to achieve? I note in reading the reports that the
reports themselves are often vague and probably mean something only to those
who participated in that particular discussion (this is not unusual for OST
reports unless the report form has more structure). Did the client
expectations/goals get met not only for the event itself but expectations of
what might emerge following the event?
7. I noted with great curiousity that you both did your own unique style of
the opening rather than one being a translation of the other. I am
fascinated to hear more about this because it taps right into the answer of
the question of "what does it mean to open space?". Based on two different
openings within the same group within the same time, there is clearly
something that is in common that actually opens the space. Any comments that
you have regarding this would be appreciated. I also know, having
experienced each of you "opening space" that you each have VERY different
energies and styles.
8. I was also interested  by your comments, Harrison, regarding "Effective
Open Space facilitation requires the subtle, conscious, and sensitive use of
both." referring to the facilitator tapping into his/her male and female
energy and the male/female energy in the group. I wonder if you could please
say a little more regarding your assessment of "Effective Open Space
Facilitation" rather than Ineffective Open Space Facilitation. Is it somehow
tied into this male/female energy in your opinion?

Again, both of you, thank you for this great story to learn from.

Blessings to you and to all with whom you make Genuine Contact,
Birgitt

Birgitt Williams of Dalar International Consultancy
www.dalarinternational.com

As mentors to leaders and organizations we assist you in going beyond what
has been before. We provide inspirational and practical “how to” guidance
for leaders who want to achieve healthy and balanced organizations to
produce exciting, tangible results for the organization and for its people.
Our approach is holistic, creating a better future by tapping into ancient
wisdom.

We believe that Spirit matters and people are precious. We know that
organizations incorporating these values have exciting, tangible results
including wealth, prosperity, and abundance. These organizations tend to
their health and balance on a daily basis.

View the calendar for upcoming training in the Organizational Health and
Balance series of workshops featuring the Genuine ContactÔ program at
http://www.openspacetechnology.com/training.html

We invite you to join the Genuine Contact list serve at
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/genuinecontact

Contact information for Dalar International Consultancy: Po Box 19373,
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA 27619 Raleigh, North Carolina USA
Phone: 919-522-7750     Fax: 919-870-6599