Open Space ,Self-Organizing Systems, and The Plexus Institute

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon Jun 2 21:44:36 PDT 2003

Michael--

I liked Susan's model a lot, seemed like a good design in several respects.
We are trying to package up a version of what we did on that project and
market it under the heading of Leadership Seminars.  John had a brochure almost
ready to print, when we learned that the picture we intended to use on the cover
cost $800+.  Little more than our budget. So we are back to looking for photos.

What both of these approaches have in common is that some pieces look a bit
like a conventional learning mode, so someone might actually ask for them.  But
my last client, and another in the contracting stage, started with someone
contacting me asking for or about Open Space.  Maybe another way the tunnels are
meeting.

I think that moving to the client leading their own Open Space meetings
routinely can be quite a leap.  And I think you are doing better than most of us in
moving client groups into that mode in a natural way.

The client I am just starting to work with wants something to help with the
process of combining staffs of two offices into one new facility--a series of
events which happen during the year of construction.  Met with the management
team last week--we decided to begin with an Open Space event for the whole
organization, and let the rest of the project emerge from that.  They loved the
idea of emergent design.

I just love the emergent nature of Open Space work.

Joelle