Open Space Rap

Tim Merry - Engage! tim at engage.nu
Thu Jun 26 02:58:20 PDT 2003

Dear OS Listers

Recently at Shamabhala Institute in Canada, Nova Scotia, I wrote a rap to introduce open space.

Toke Moller and Marianne Knuth invited me into their module on convening conversations and the art of hosting to offer it to thier group. It was well recieved and has given me the inspiration to offer it here! Below is a copy of the rap ... have pics of the shambhala reading if you're interested ...

I would love any feedback, additions, changes, break beats to put under it, recording contracts ...

Enjoy ...

Tim (tim at engage.nu)

The Open Space Rap

Welcome to Open Space,

This is the place

Of a new fashion,

You get to organise

Around your passion!

The  task:

To ask

'what really matters to me?'

Then take responsibility

Guided by our core question

Which I am about to mention

READ CORE QUESTION

Let's get this started

'cause this train has already  departed

Here's the first mind bender:

We ain't got no agenda!

Yet ...

But I'll bet

in 30 minutes or less

No stress

That wall will be full

And choice will be the tension

In a packed programme guided by our intention:

CORE QUESTION AGAIN (?)

How to do it?

How  to fly?

Let me try and

Clarify:

If you got a workshop

to offer to the question

Head to the centre,

Grab a pen and write the intention

Or topic and your name,

To give it some fame

Announce it to us all,

Then take a time a time and place

And stick it to the wall.

So simple

No trouble atall.

But here's another mind blaster:

You do not have to be

A master

Expert

Or Mentor.

This here is a curious centre.

If you know nothing

and want to know more,

Don't hold or stop

Host a workshop!

It's a sure

cure

To learn more.

Which brings me to the principles and one law:

'Whoever comes are the right people'

to have around.

They  are the ones with the passion

For the ground

You are hoping to cover

Everyone else is searching in the other

Workshops

Serving our core intention.

We working together

In sperate places,

It's a great invention!

So, what happens if no-one comes?

All alone.

When was the last time

You got to stop and reflect

On your own?

Especialy on something that

Gets you out of your seat

Makes your heart beat.

This time is for your passion

To bring

Unqiue learning

To us all.

Honour the call.

'Whatever happens is the only thing that could have'

So let go of expectation

Of what this should be,

Set it free.

Trust the open space form

It holds the storm.

'When it starts is the right is the right time'

It's no crime

To chat or have a cup of tea

Be free and see

When you begin