questions on OS's form

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at pochtamt.ru
Mon Jun 23 01:22:28 PDT 2003

Dear fellow OS'ers,

Recently I attended the annual Intertraining conference near Moscow.
Intertraining is a professional association of trainers and
consultants in the nonprofit sector from countries of the former
Soviet Union. During the conference there was a 3 hour Open Space-like
meeting to determine in which areas we would develop strategically
in the coming year. It was consciously described as not exactly like
Open Space. Of the 40+ members present, some 90% had participated in
Open Space and probably a similarly high figure had been trained in
it.

The facilitators didn't do many of the things that I associate with
OS's form and yet the event had many of the qualities of OS, though
admittedly not all of them. This led me to wondering just how
absolutely essential these pieces of the form are.

What wasn't done:

1. no walking in a circle (the two co-facilitators sat at the head of
the room)

2. no attention to breath, request to look about the room

3. the theme was framed very generally and almost accidentally. We all
knew why we were gathered. We usually leave the last day of the
conference for planning the year ahead. No desired result was framed
either.

4. clear explanation of the need to draw on one's passion and to take
responsibility for the session topic offered

What was done:
1. request to walk to center, write topic, write name, and post. (this
was done once, not three times as I understand is better)
2. report forms given out
3.

Also facilitators took it upon themselves to tell us where we should
post the topics.

After the 2 45-min. sessions, we gathered and in traditional business
meeting format (with Robert's Rules of Order), presented our reports and
if there were any proposals that needed to be voted upon, we discussed
them and voted on them. This part of course was no longer OS.

But the energy of the sessions felt very much like OS. I wouldn't call
it full OS. I proposed two sessions and I later got feedback that this
was seen as a provocation, maybe that I wasn't afraid to propose
ideas. Maybe the not-walking inhibited other folks. But I am glad that
I had my two sessions.

Altogether there were some 10-12 topics

I am not inclined to experiment at this point with not doing the circle, but a
comment of one colleague had me thinking. She noted that when she was
trained in OS, the "rules" for the form seemed too rigid for her (the
walking, breath, etc.). It felt "Protestant" to her.

I am inclined to believe that in their hearts the facilitators trusted
the space would be opened and that internal opening allowed for the
space to open externally.

Your comments?

Raffi Aftandelian