OSLIST Digest - 21 Jun 2003 to 22 Jun 2003 (#2003-166)

David Smith imaginac at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 22 23:54:02 PDT 2003

Dear OS community,
I have found OS has altered me in a curious way. I now don't hesitate to do slightly unusual things - heretical even - like taking on extra work for no more money. Here's a short exchange in regard to a video I'm currently filming about the science of Neuroscience. The reply is first, then my simple offer below, inspired by thoughts like "How would the OS community respond?"
Please understand I'm not circulating this to bignote myself - just to show a tiny example of the flow-on effect of generosity.
Thanks for the inspiration.
David

The Reply from Marisa:

David,

That's really beautiful and a wonderful idea as far as I'm concerned.

It never ceases to amaze me when talented people go out of their way for those who really need it. My father just passed away last Saturday after a 2-year battle with cancer. During this course we have encountered many heartless, often harmful individuals but at times, our lives were also touched by people with fine qualities like your own. It is those people that add to "The Bright Light of Hope" in those crucial times when it seems as though it is rapidly dimming. I agree that it is that hope that helps these individuals with their fight. I think your idea is wonderful and although I'm not working as diligently at the moment given my situation, I would like to offer my help to your project in anyway I can. I do have a journalism degree, so perhaps could help you in the interviewing/editing etc processes.

Just let me know how I can assist.

My Original Note:

Dear Marisa,
In the course of filming the Promo Video, I am encountering some truly uplifting human stories of people with terrible afflictions and how the astonishing recent research findings in neurosciences are really opening the possibility of hope not merely for relief from symptoms but of real "cures". In order to get the best short grabs for the promo, I always film quite a bit more material. It would be relatively easy to edit a "Long Version" that could draw out more of this superb material. I'm thinking of a title like "The Bright Light of Hope" - for the patients I've spoken with see hope as the one thing that can really lift their spirits. For some, such as a 23 year old I met who is nearing the end of his life as a muscular dystrophy sufferer, the research breakthroughs will not be available soon enough. For kids born today with MS, there is a very good chance that their condition will be greatly alleviated. This is pretty tear-jerking stuff at times, but it's the real core of why this research is so important.

So I'd like to suggest a longer video as one story, featuring simple talking-head interviews with perhaps three or four patients.

I know there's no budget for this but I'm prepared to do it for little if nothing (as long as time permits) as a tribute to the courage of all the patient sufferers out there.

Regards,
David