AW: 2108 -- Remember the Number-more questions by Birgitt

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at snafu.de
Tue Jun 17 12:46:07 PDT 2003

Dear Birgitt,
here some of my thoughts to your additional questions:

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:20:58 -0400, Birgitt Williams wrote:

>Your responses generated further questions and comments within me.
>
>1. I was interested in both of you commenting that announcing the topics was
>an integral part of OST for you and that this was not on your list of "one
>more thing not to do". I would be very interested in what your lists of
>integral ingredients for a well done OST meeting are---not just the
>description in the User's Guide but what you actually do in your OST
>facilitation.

1.1 I stick pretty much to the traditional script.
In my practice, I am very clear on that it is not me but the sponsor
who opens the space.
That has let me to be always outside of the circle until the sponsor
has opened the space and invited me to introduce ost.
The second thing that I emphasize is the "focusing the group" part
which to me is an opportunity to invite the group to focus on
itself...to me that is the crossing from someone is telling us
something to we are on our own.
The rest is just standard...although I have spent a lot of effort
together with a bunch of  colleagues to get the whole thing into
German.
Oh yes, there is one variance: after inviting people to state their
issues, I leave the circle and do as little as possible till all the
issues are posted.

>2. I was interested that Harrison notes that 1 1/2 hours for the
>opening/agenda/marketplace is standard and for Michael that a built in
>coffee time before the first session is standard. I had remembered being
>taught by Harrison to get this all done as quickly as possible and
>preferably in less than an hour so that the energy didn't diminish. It
>appears from your reporting that the energy doesn't diminish even with 2
>hours before the first session.

2.1 In fact, I am not much concerned about energy diminishing, there
always seems loads of it. I certainly would not do anything in the
direction of keeping energy up. In a recent event a participant asked
me to do something so that energy would come up again which elicited
the response from another participant: we just created space for
ourselves to have little energy!
Its not that I build in a coffee break...it just seems to happen
every time regardless of whether there is time before the first
break-out session. Many seem to just need a break after what might
perhaps have been an intensive one hour or so with lots of unusual
stuff taking place.
It seems to work fine to allow 1hour and 30 minutes from the very
beginning until the first scheduled breakout session which sometimes
is the time that people start and sometimes not.

>3. Your design allowed you three session times. I would be very interested
>in hearing more about your decision making of having 3 rather than more
>session times and why you chose the length of time for each session that you
>did.

3.1 In general, three sessions seem to allow for choices to have the
market experience. In this particular case there was enough time for
three sessions, not more. One session was stretched a little to leave
some more room for grabbing some food from the scrumptous buffet.

>4. As I understand it, the agenda wall was the full use of three walls that
>were set up so that every meter there was a number posted, for the report
>number---this had the topics posted side by side and always allowing for a
>meter. How did you handle the space and time assignments with what you set
>up. And where on the wall did those extra topics that you had not counted on
>go? Do you have any recommendations for us about using this kind of
>organized agenda wall? Could people easily find the topics for any given
>time slot to see easily what the choices were to choose from--or did they
>have to walk along to read the three walls?

4.1 In fact, there was 150 meter wall space. We divided it into 3
wallspaces each 50 meters long.
Each of the 3 walls was assigned one of the three starting times.
Each of the three walls had 50 numbered slots representing the
breakoutrooms.
It appeared to work, even though there were more than 150 issues.
When you take a close look at some of the photographs of the agenda
wall you notice that people had bunched topics...dont ask me how they
did it in the huge amount of information that they had to process.
But they did and it worked better than any plan we might have
designed. In the end, 180 groups met (we had set up 10 additional
break out rooms, so there were three times 60 planned opportunities
for groups to meet).
I did not pay much attention on how people navigated this mess but
others did and reported that it worked.

>5. Harrison, you note that one of the reasons you chose Michael to work with
>you is that he would do a good job of dealing with the logistics and of
>working effectively with the client. What work in your opinion does the
>facilitator (or in this case designate) take on regarding the logistics and
>what is expected in "dealing with the client"? And Michael, what was the
>pre-work that you had to do. How many meetings were involved and what kind
>of things did you need to cover and to get involved in? I think there was
>some brilliant decision making for some very difficult challenges such as
>the cushions on the floor, the balloons from which to hang the signs and so
>on.

5.1 As pointed out earlier and by others I should have drawn a
clearer line between my "organisation" role and the "facilitation"
role. There was a grand team of assistants and helpers and they
certainly did not need me the last 10 hours before the event. Well,
control again, even at old age.
There was a lot of work with the client the months before the event.
All in all about 15 days spread over 5 months, including several
trips to the site, sessions with the planning group designing the
theme for the day and meetings with the team, trying out the balloons
and with my grandchildren, painting bumble bees, buying and ordering
things...well the usual stuff but at a different scale.
When I get to it, I will write up a list of all the things that had
to be organized.
The client was heavily involved in designing a 4 day event with 2500
people and 200 speakers from all over the world, booking every hotel
room in the small town of Wuerzburg, organizing the tents and
coordinating a crew of 150 people for the catering, registration,
toilets, security....I had nothing to do with all that but decisions
were made all the time that often were not communicated and then
surprises at the last moment. Oh, we had to be flexible.

>6. What were the client expectations for this one day OST event? What were
>you assisting the client to achieve? I note in reading the reports that the
>reports themselves are often vague and probably mean something only to those
>who participated in that particular discussion (this is not unusual for OST
>reports unless the report form has more structure). Did the client
>expectations/goals get met not only for the event itself but expectations of
>what might emerge following the event?

6.1 The expectation was for the participants to reflect on their
experience and learning of the first three days of the conference and
to project into the time after the conference.
Everyone seemed to feel that this was achieved...including for the
time after the conference, although the news isnt in on that.
As far as I observe, reports, no matter how the structure, are just
the backdrop for possible action. Now here, there was no structured
action planning. From what I experience action will be taken even if
there is no structured action planning. So even in this
"unstructured" (by whom? what structure?) situation, surprises are
ahead.
Also, what I experienced is that stringent action planning can be
counterproductive...at least as far as the expectation of the client
is concerned but very productive from other points of view. Ok,
confusing but normal.

>7. I noted with great curiousity that you both did your own unique style of
>the opening rather than one being a translation of the other. I am
>fascinated to hear more about this because it taps right into the answer of
>the question of "what does it mean to open space?". Based on two different
>openings within the same group within the same time, there is clearly
>something that is in common that actually opens the space. Any comments that
>you have regarding this would be appreciated. I also know, having
>experienced each of you "opening space" that you each have VERY different
>energies and styles.

7.1 Well, I keep insisting that it is not me opening space, others
see that differently.
Regardless, it is clear that ho and mmp each have their particular
style in introducing ost.
>From my observation people enjoyed that difference, whatever it is,
it created a light and alive kind of setting and we did not seem to
get too much into their way.

>8. I was also interested  by your comments, Harrison, regarding "Effective
>Open Space facilitation requires the subtle, conscious, and sensitive use of
>both." referring to the facilitator tapping into his/her male and female
>energy and the male/female energy in the group. I wonder if you could please
>say a little more regarding your assessment of "Effective Open Space
>Facilitation" rather than Ineffective Open Space Facilitation. Is it somehow
>tied into this male/female energy in your opinion?

8.1 This question is addressed to Harrison.
Still, I feel urged to say that this image of "tapping into the
energy"  (of me, the group) is something I cant get close to, it is
not part of my approach, at least not consciously.
Energy seems not only present in many different ways but belongs to
those elements of chaos, confusion and conflict that appear to be at
the core of selforganisation.
To me, effective facilitation pays attention to the conditions for
selforganisation to unfold (at the same time I am very cautious being
pretty sure that selforganisation unfolds pretty damn independent of
my facilitation). Later, Birgitt, you also referred to the "bigger
Open Space" which seems to suggest that there is also a smaller open
space...does that have something to do with the energy?
One final thought on "effective" facilitation: somehow, and I have
seen many different styles of introducing ost, it always seems to
work pretty well, mostly amazingly well regardless of what I perceive
to be "effective" facilitation.

Peace
mmp

>Again, both of you, thank you for this great story to learn from.
>

>Blessings to you and to all with whom you make Genuine Contact,
>Birgitt
>
>Birgitt Williams of Dalar International Consultancy
>www.dalarinternational.com
>
>As mentors to leaders and organizations we assist you in going beyond what
>has been before. We provide inspirational and practical óhow toó guidance
>for leaders who want to achieve healthy and balanced organizations to
>produce exciting, tangible results for the organization and for its people.
>Our approach is holistic, creating a better future by tapping into ancient
>wisdom.
>
>We believe that Spirit matters and people are precious. We know that
>organizations incorporating these values have exciting, tangible results
>including wealth, prosperity, and abundance. These organizations tend to
>their health and balance on a daily basis.
>
>View the calendar for upcoming training in the Organizational Health and
>Balance series of workshops featuring the Genuine ContactÔ program at
>http://www.openspacetechnology.com/training.html
>
>We invite you to join the Genuine Contact list serve at
>http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/genuinecontact
>
>Contact information for Dalar International Consultancy: Po Box 19373,
>Raleigh, North Carolina, USA 27619 Raleigh, North Carolina USA
>Phone: 919-522-7750     Fax: 919-870-6599

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.