Very long story of a 1.5 day OST with deep conflict

Mike Copeland mcopeland at doc.govt.nz
Sun Jul 6 19:10:50 PDT 2003

G'day Chris

Thanks heaps for your story.  It was great to hear about it in detail. I
liked your opening remarks, seemed to say, "hey if nobody believes this can
work then I'll put my hand up and hold the belief until it does."  Like a
prayer of sorts.

There is an earthy, kind of life and death quality to this workshop you have
written of. I'm glad open space can work with this reality.

Really enjoyed your refocusing on the issues when things got out of hand on
the second day.  You read this dynamic well:

"It felt very quickly like space was closing and with nowhere to go, people
started going for the jugular."

This is the modus operandi around where I live too. I find it refreshing
living in a place where people speak their minds.   At least you know where
people stand, but it can be devastating!

Glad to hear that even hardened "blokes," as we call them down here, can use
open space. It obviously took courage and staying very centered on this one
from you.

Chris, I have really enjoy your contributions on this server! You obviously
have a good mind and like plumbing thoughts to their bedrock. I have used a
number of your theories e.g." Freedom Shock" to help in my work.

Keep on opening that space!

All the best
Mike Copeland