questions on OS's form + Berdsk story

Elena A. Marchuk marco at mail.nsk.ru
Mon Jul 7 20:46:21 PDT 2003

Hi Peggy, Birgitt, Joelle and ALL!
I was just going to write about the ideas I got while reading (sorry for
late literacy) a book 'Calling the Circle' and wondering that the idea is
good and the form if even with the topic indeficated sounds like not very
easy to come to everybodies understanding. when coming to chaos the idea of
the auther is to get silence for a while when somebody will be ready to move
forward.

of course any idea of calling the circle is good and should be apreciated, I
think, but it is not easy to call the circle at least at our counry.
the last try I did, though of course it was not much time to organize all
things in proper way, but it seems that there are always something which not
allow to do things... when people don't want them to do.

even knowing they need to, they avoid everything which is not familiar and
use their two legs as soon as they see nothing 'interesting' for them is
happenning

on the 27th of June after a two months of talking through the deputy of the
city Berdsk which in near Novosibirsk and Akademgorodok (15 minutes drive)
where I live, but 10 days before I managed to have a meeting with the mayor
or the city (after a week of asking) he got the idea and as the summer is on
already in Siberia and it is like 30 + C, and the time of vacations for most
part of the population, we decided that the 27th of June will be OK to try
to gather people for OS on topic "Encreasing the effectiveness of the
communal service of the city Berdsk"

it was Wednesday, 18th, when we decide to do it, and on Friday when I call
the secretary, she told me that she gave the 'orders of the mayor' to
certain people, so better to call them ... on Monday, when papers will
arrive to them...
so it was less then a week which will be rested,
well, on Monday the chiif of the communal sevice department said that he
wants to meet me ... tomorrow, and after an hour of retelling the stories
and his sayings that they have a program for reforming the communal service
of Berdsk he did understand the purpose of the OS and we agreed... to follow
the order of the mayor

he said that they will invite people of his department, non-profits and
owners of facilities, as well as deputies... but there was not many people
who show up and half of them 'use their feets' during the first session.
before they go to sign for topics one said that they came to LISTEN for the
proposals how to emprove the work of their communal service. I said that we
are going right now to define problems, probably set on priorities and will
learn together what we should do to improve the service...

he was not satisfied and left though after working for some time with one of
the groups... and leaving his own topic without leader on the second
session...

well, whatever happens...

there were only 6 topics posted and that was enough only for 2 sessions,
though the idea was to work the whole day.
the chief of the department though asked me if we could work half of the
day... I said we could do everything, but I'm not sure that we can go to any
question in details if we work for half a day..

nevertheless, we had only 6 topics, half people left and though the very
emotional discussions the reports were very short and always with the asking
what can we do, if the financing is so small, not enough for repairment of
the old equipment and so on...

the only active group was the one which discussed the Association of owners
of facilities (appartments actually), and the 10 people left said it was a
very good and counstructive and not foraml way of discussing things. the
person from private let's say condominium said that she find all the right
people she wants to work with, that she discussed all the questions which
were interesting for her and

I HOPE, that the news about this calling the circle will be spread all over
the city. the chief of the communal service department said that the meeting
really could be called an OPEN FORUM as I proposed to call it... though it
was 10 people left...

I think that he did not give much effort to really call peple as he was
afraid of what kind a meeting it will be himself, now he knows and we agreed
that we will call a circle - a bigger one - in Autumn, and I hope that we
will really work on spreading the information of what it will be

people don't believe they can do anything as the problems of communal
service which is financed from the budget of the city 50% (though the law in
Russia is 90% - that is not 2 not 1.5 as we say, - what means 'half of the
decision') but that is because the deputies of the city - which did not show
up on the meeting, even the one who was a messenger to the mayor!) did not
allow to do that - because of afraidness of not-popular decisions - but the
reason they say is that the income of people is very low, and even with
given compensation they will not be able to pay for new tarifs...

the low income is the country problem, not only the city's Berdsk and ... so
on as the circle again

there are a lot of possibilities, but if people don't want to solve them =
to change their life , even if it is not the life they want to live, but it
could be WORSE as everybody is thinking and though there are a lot of hided
extra work, payments and staff... all people are trying to keep the way they
are used to be...

well,

sorry for the long letter again, it is of course less painful then Raffi's
questions, but still the same NOT-BELIEF  in people's possibilities to form
a program and realizing of it

I don't think that it was an OS which DID NOT WORK, it work as it could and
should, and it was the start, but the start which was not as I planned -
working for the whole day, as we were out of topics, people asked me what we
will do next, so I said that now we shall discuss the results and it will be
the closing session, which was very optimistic for all who was 'strong'
enough to stay up to the end. and also I got a call that the woman wants to
make the same kind of meeting for the 'owners of the facilities' but with
many people (as much as possible) invited. she said she liked the form of
the meeting.

so, moving to understanding and listening each other...

best wishes

elena
novosibirsk, russia