new party

Christine Kent christine_kent at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 21 14:48:02 PST 2003

Hello Kerry, Alan et al

One significant point - this is not just an American phenomenon.  The
discontent is world wide (at least first world) and many two party systems
are struggling to differentiate between their parties any more.  Bottom line
economics seems to have gotten the best of all of us.

So I would like to suggest that we approach this issue from a global
perspective.

I may be oversimplifying things, but I wonder why we are not just starting a
forum anyway - one that is non-aligned to any party, government or nation,
but simply seeks to look at the issues we are all facing and devise
solutions?

We could set up an on-line space - a wiki - that we somehow breakdown into
various global and national issues - my idea is to take the government
'ministries' in Australia as headings - I don't know what you call ministers
in the US - as they are a reasonable division of issues under sensible
headings.  We can start groups to discuss particular of these issues and
record their progress on the wiki.  The forum's own energy will cause a
grass roots surge that the politicians will be unable to resist if they want
to stay elected.  If we just start it, we will surely attract people who can
contribute their time and skills to assist with setting up and maintaining
the infrastructure we need.

There is so much social action on the web, but it is disparate and
scattered - and quite often angry and competitive.  A global OS wiki using
OS techniques and maybe Gabriela's OS software, can help put some positive
form around this and result in truly inspired solutions.  Some we can
actually start implementing independently of any government, some may need
political support - but any which way, the ideas will start flowing if the
environment is inspired.  The cross fertilisation across nations would also
have value.

I am inexperienced with politics, but this is the path I am taking
personally.   I have
made a submission to government, which I am following by implementing an
independent trial of the process I want them to adopt - so that I can
actually demonstrate the value of my idea by the time anyone notices my
submission.  Even if they do not pay attention to the original submission,
the trial can stand on its own merits.  If it works, there will be a
groundswell.

I am doing this on my own time and money with email and internet making this
viable economically.  I have started the publicity for what I am doing via
an email mailing list - the rest is in the 'lap of the gods'.  I do,
however, have a conviction that if it is meant to happen, and the time is
right, I just have to tip the first domino and the rest will fall.

My belief about politicians is that they are careerists, and that they will
jump on a bandwagon if they see it as a career furthering idea.  The Clean
Up Australia day was started by one man, politicians liked the idea and
adopted
it, now it is a worldwide event.  It was apolitical so anyone could use it
to further their own careers - a win win.

Governments do not lead, they follow and enforce.  So lets give them some
groundswell leadership.

Regards, Christine