A Bold Idea...

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 7 08:25:32 PST 2003

Dear David,
I too would like to express my appreciation of your offer and give you
encouragement to follow your dream. I agree that OST is a modern incarnation
of ancient ways, as are other processes such as “calling the circle”,
Appreciative Inquiry, Quaker worship, and so on. All are focus points for
focusing the energy of Spirit. All are windows to remind us of the infinite
intelligence and love that is there for us to tap into, and all are learning
“tools” to learn how to tap into working with Spirit, ever present. Like
taking our baby steps to remember what we all once knew. Is there room in
your dream to address the great Open Space that is created by the Creator
and free for all? And to acknowledge that OST is a window into what is? My
perspective, as one who works with OST a lot, in accordance with my
perspective of it, is one of humility of recognizing it as a “tool” to help
us work with a much greater gift of the Creator. And to take care that I
acknowledge other equally helpful tools to do the same.

Since my initial work with OST more than a decade ago, I have had very
little interest in the meeting itself. There are highs and lows, there is
usually great feeling of success at some point during the meeting by all
involved, and the comments in most closing circles are enough to bring tears
of joy to the eyes of participants and facilitators alike. That is all good,
I am sure. I just simply have little interest in it. What I have great great
interest in is what happens as a RESULT of the meeting, during the next week
and the next months. I have found that there is a relationship to that and
to the level of preparedness of the “sponsor” that the OST meeting will
actually produce results and that the results of the meeting may require a
lot of changes to take place. Sponsors and participants who are not
prepared, usually do not follow up from the meeting, often end up in states
of shock, betrayal, anger, withdrawal, and there are repercussions that have
happened including disciplinary action for what took place during the OST
meeting, people quitting their jobs, or increased levels of dissatisfaction
in the organization due to unmet expectations. There are almost never, to my
knowledge, unmet feelings of expectation about the meeting itself, but there
are quite often such feelings about the follow up, when the preparatory work
is not done well. In my experience, when the preparatory work is done well,
there is quite often as much as 100% follow up from the meeting in terms of
action with results.

There is a research paper that has concluded that the results from an OST
meeting over the longer term are not high. I think that this research could
be redone by dividing OST meetings that have a good prework process and
those that do not.

If you should choose to focus on what really happens as a result of OST, I
would be pleased to participate, to connect you with clients who
participated in meetings a few years ago, to tell their stories of what
happened as a result of even a single meeting.

My primary work with OST has been the development of the Open Space
Organization. Over the past decade we have learned a lot about the conscious
Open Space Organization. I begin with the premise that every organization is
an Open Space Organization and is in-spired. This is the opposite end of the
spectrum of what I learned from Harrison in which he taught that
organizations went from reactive to responsive to proactive to interactive
and then to inspired. He taught that using OST brought Spirit in. I teach
that Spirit is always, always present and that the task at hand is simply to
clear away the clutter to work with what is present. Using OST is an
incredible window/tool to assist with this clearing and
awareness/consciousness development, to the extent that the organization
chooses to do so. If there is room in your video for this perspective, I
will be happy to make arrangements for you to participate in at least one
such organization and to hear the stories. We did a video last year in which
three organizations gave generously of their time to get their stories on
tape, but unfortunately, there were technical difficulties with the sound
and the sound would have required too too much editing (more than I chose to
pay for) to get the few clear pieces. I can pass that on to you and you
might find some useful clips if you like. I cannot commit to all three again
being willing, but I know one may be---because it does take a commitment of
time/energy from the organization to participate.

The primary location would be in southern Ontario, Canada in the Niagara
area. I can arrange no-cost to you food and accommodation with friends
there. I am located in Raleigh, North Carolina, USA and would welcome you
here if you wish. I am willing to make a financial contribution once I know
a little more about what you intend your story line to be.

Best wishes,
Birgitt Williams