Democratic Forum Response

Alan Silverman asilverman at hvc.rr.com
Sun Jan 26 19:51:14 PST 2003

Paul,

Since you're having trouble posting to the OSLIST, I'll add your note after my
reply.

'The Lexus and the Olive Tree' had a great influence on me.  In retrospect, many
things about globalization should make us feel uncomfortable - how it crushes local
cultures, replacing it with the culture of materialism, how it caused implosions in
many East Asian economies, its arrogant edge.  But it is powerful,  important, and
can be a strong force for positive change.

I’m glad you reminded me of  "The True Believer" by Eric Hoffer. It’s been a long
time since I read it.  Certainty is such a powerful force.  How does one deal with
it?   How easy to win debates when one can simply say: "Because God told me so."
How can one act powerfully from a core of uncertainty, and nullify the advantage
fanatics acquire from being able to argue from blindness?

You asked about the four technological groups:
1. The Internet, search engines, sorting programs, heuristics.
2. Huge data bases, cheap data storage, data mining.
3. Digital signatures, encryption programs.
4. Moderated forums.

I love your simile, 'like herding cats'.  I apologize if I misunderstood the
purpose  of the OSLIST.  Per your suggestion, I think I’ll just MoveOn.  I plan to
go from macro to microcosm, in this case to my local Democratic Party, to get their
endorsement for my idea.  We'll see where it goes from there.  I will also look
into MoveOn.org and Jim's Rough's ideas, per your suggestion.

Thanks for your good advice, and best regards,

Al

JPESeeker at aol.com wrote:

  Dear Alan,

 I've been following your discussion on the OSListserv under another ISP
 (explained below) but can't seem to get my replies posted, so am taking this
 opportunity to communicate directly with you and copying Jim so he'll know where
any communication you choose to develop came from.

Mr. Kinch is right, the OS forum isn't appropriate for your proposal.  It's
like herding cats, you can't do it.  Nonetheless, it has significant merit.
Below I've referred you to a man you may choose to contact, Jim Rough, who is
definitely thinking along your lines and has a book out about it.  Jim has
degrees in Physics, Math, and an MBA and much other learning about Jungian
psychology.  He also has a "Big Idea" and has carried it a considerable distance in
his book.  I think you two need to know each other.  There may be some synergy for
both of you.  Thus, I'm putting you in contact with each other.

You might also investigate an organization (rather virtual, I think) called
MoveOn.  They are at www.MoveOn.org and have been creating waves
about Iraq but are really fellow travelers of the Democratic party.
They might be a group that you could also hook up with.

If you haven't read 'The Lexus and the Olive Tree', I highly recommend it.
And, I'm interested in what your "four technologies" are that will enable
this Idea of yours to happen.  You might also get and read "The True
Believer" by Eric Hoffer.  Should be mandatory reading for every high school
  graduate, in my humble opinion.

  Sincerely,

  Paul Everett
  jpeseeker at aol.com