U S WEST video & OSI(US) membership (long)

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Mon Jan 13 18:14:45 PST 2003

I've gotten several messages asking how to get a copy of the U S WEST Open Space video.  It is available via the Open Space Institute (US) in both PAL and VHS formats for $40 plus shipping .

This is a BIG improvement over the old price of $90.  We were finally able to negotiate a much better deal with Qwest (who purchased USW a while back.)  To celebrate this price drop, the OSI-US is offering the video as a membership gift for joining OSI-US with a donation of $75.  The details on OSI-US and this offer are below.

Peggy

P.S.  If you just want the video, that's fine too.  Details for ordering are the same as becoming a member.  (Basically, send a mailing address and payment info (VISA, Mastercard or invoice to) to usa at openspaceworld.org, phoning me at 425.746.6274 or faxing me at 425.378.8331).

To members of the Open Space community:

SPECIAL PREMIUMS
We are excited to offer you some special premiums as a thank you for becoming a member of the Open Space Institute(US) in 2003.

For a $75 membership donation, we will send you a copy of the Open Space: US West videotape, valued at $40. This is probably the best documentary on Open Space out there today.  If you don't own it, you should.  If you already own one, you need an extra to share with potential clients.

For every $150 membership donation, we will send you the video plus a recording of Harrison Owen's Open Space training, captured on five CDs (a $65 value). This is the definitive statement by the original creator in his own words.  Every veteran Open Space facilitator will want one for their library.

And for a membership donation of $500, we'll produce the very first DVD of the Open Space: US West vidoe, and give you ten copies!
That contribution will continue giving for years to come as the DVD is made available through the Institute to other facilitators.

                                Make a tax deductible gift.
                                  Enjoy a great premium.
                   Help the Open Space Institute help others.
                     Make your membership donation today.

You may be asking yourself, "Why should I?"  Good question.  Some people join because they believe in our mission - holding space for Open Space.  Others want to support our work in bringing OS to the under-served.  Still others just want to say thank you for the difference OS has made in their work and their lives.

If you're asking, "What happens with my money?" here are some answers.

First, it helps fund access for the under-served.  As partners in open space in the world community, we want to extend a hand of friendship by offering what we can to help those without the financial means.  In that spirit, we enabled people from Haiti and India to attend OSonOS-X in Marysville, Victoria, Australia.  We will continue to such funds available using these guidelines:
*  To support underserved areas;
*  To provide support that is leveraged to reach multiple people;
*  To match recipients' actions and resources with OSI-US actions and funds;
*  To have a commitment from the recipient to share the story of their OST experience.

Secondly, it supports research into an areas of interest expressed by many in the OS community.  Thus we hosted an
experimental Virtual Open Space on Virtual Open Space (VOSonVOS) in 2002.

Then there are funds for the unexpected.  Part of holding space for Open Space means paying attention to what emerges.  Having some funds on hand enables us to respond when time is short and the need are there. That's why we were able to produce the 5-CD set, "Understanding Open Space" which many have found to be an inspiration.

In 2003, we are exploring:
A) assisting David Smith with his OSonOS-X inspired plan for a round-the-world film trip videoing the wide diversity of ways in which Open Space is used around the planet. and

B) the US publication and promotion of Harrison Owen's new book, "The Practice of Peace.  (Others will be handling the book in other parts of the world.)

In addition we're gathering stories about giving back to OS, inspired by a session at OSonOSinOz.  The session was summarized by Anne Pattillo, one of the session participants:

"We acknowledged:
*  That open space is embodied with a spirit of generosity;
*  That the process of giving and serving has unexpected benefits personally and for the community;
*  That reciprocity within a spirit of generosity is not an transaction of "I give to you, you give to me", rather, like the breath of life, it is an act of giving forward, giving unconditionally; and
*  That receiving is a more challenging prospect than giving"

This  led us to create the Giving Back Stories Site at http://osi.bigmindcatalyst.com/giveback.  Come read some stories and add your own.

When OSI(US) was forming, one person said, "I want a place I can send my friends to learn about Open Space."  OSI(US) has done it's best to be that place.  We see our mission as providing:
*  Mutual support and connection;
*  Mentoring and being mentored;
*  Learning and Research.

We do that by meeting the needs the community told us about:
*  Making sure information about Open Space Technology is easy to get.
*  Making sure there are ways to connect with the Open Space community.
*  Gathering and reporting Open Space stories and supporting research.

When people come our way, we answer their questions; we suggest the world-wide OS web site (www.openspaceworld.org) as a source of information and stories; we send them to the OS listserv where they connect with a community of 300+ OS practitioners from around the world.  We provide books, videos and CDs.  In short, we hold the space for Open Space.

If you've got ideas for how the OSI(US) can serve, let us know.   What would YOU like the Open Space Institute (US) to be doing?  What role(s) would YOU like us to play in supporting your practice and the work of expanding Open Space in the world?  What would inspire YOU to get involved?  Please email your comments to usa at openspaceworld.org.

So what do you say?  We say, "Please join OSI(US) today." The details on how are below.

Thank you.
The OSI(US) Board
Leon De King
John Engle
Lisa Heft
Peggy Holman
Dave Koehler
Gabriel Shirley
Janice Vincent

P.S.  If you live in Canada, consider joining OSI-Canada.  You can find out more at <http://www.openspacecanada.org>.  In Australia,
contact Brian Bainbridge at <briansb at mira.net>.  For people in other parts of the world, until someone takes the initiative to start a more proximal OSI, you're welcome to join us.

P.P.S.  Whatever you do about joining an OSI, come to the Eleventh Annual Open Space on Open Space somewhere in Swenmark (Sweden or Denmark), this November.  For details, visit:
<http://www.openspaceworld.org/osonos.html>.

HOW TO JOIN

Enclosed please find my check for ___________(U.S.$).

Please record me as a/an ___________________________ OSI-US member.

LEVELS OF COMMITMENT
$500 Corporate Space Sponsor
$250 Space Sponsor
$70  Space Opener
$30  Student or Retired(*)
(*) or what you can afford

Name _________________________________

Company  _____________________________

Street  _______________________________

City  _________________________________

State/Province  ______________________

Country  _____________________________

Postal Code  _________________________

Telephone  ___________________________

E-mail  ______________________________

Web site  ____________________________

Please mail to

Open Space Institute
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue,  WA   98006
USA

FAX (425) 378-8331.  E-mail <usa at openspaceworld.org>.

CREDIT CARD INSTRUCTIONS
    Please fax or e-mail(*):
      the mailing address;
      the name on the card;
      the type of card (MC or VISA);
      the credit card number;
      the expiration date;  and
      **the amount you wish to donate **
(*) Note: Fax is a safer way of sending private information than the Internet.

We have 501(c)(3) status, which makes your dues tax deductible.

Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006