Help with Idea / Democratic Party - Internet - New Technology

Alan Silverman asilverman at hvc.rr.com
Fri Jan 10 04:28:29 PST 2003

First I want to say hello and tell you how happy I am to be here.
I feel that I am at home.

I worked at IBM in large systems networking, data storage and I/O.
At IBM there were not many people like me, both highly technical
and politically liberal, creative, spiritual. I left there in 1999.
Now there still aren't many people like me, with my technical
expertise and a deep understanding of how the new technologies
can transform society.

I'm working on an important idea, part of a matrix of ideas
I've pondered for a long time.

Steps:

1. Write an  "Open Letter to the Democratic Party", the gist being
that, considering outcomes of the past two elections, the Democratic
National Committee should ask Democratic voters and the American
people: "What should we do now?"

The ideas will be submitted, discussed, and refined on Internet
forums. People from anywhere can join. The goal being to create
innovative solutions, concise well articulated plans with a high
degree of granularity, intended to address specific problems faced
by the Democratic Party and America.

2. Once the letter is written, get prominent individuals to
sponsor the idea.

3. With their sponsorship, publish the letter in the NY Times
or some like venue (Solon Magazine, the Atlantic Monthly?)

The letter describes in detail the confluence of four technologies
making it possible to gather ideas together and quickly refine those
ideas into solutions.  The final technological key is digital
certificates, also called digital signatures.

In the short term we use this forum, these technologies, to figure
out what the Democrats must do in light of the past two elections.

In the long term it will answer the question, "Who should be making
decisions and creating policy". The answer being:  "Whomever has the
best solution," with everyone getting an equal shot and the process
itself being out in the open for everyone to see.

The Democratic Party is in crisis. If we step in and say, "We have
the solution to your problem", it will work. It must work, because
this is the democratic solution. If we don't say this now the
Democratic Party will surely move in a different direction.

I have written a lot already. Should I just put it all up here for
analysis and discussion?

Thank you,
Alan Silverman
http://thefuturevision.virtualave.net/