Help with Idea / Democratic Party - Internet - New Technology

BJ Peters bjp1 at cox.net
Sat Jan 11 18:19:03 PST 2003

Alan-- Thanks for your contribution! I agree with Birgitt, particularly
on the coast to coast meetings. I was part of an event in Phoenix that
had Christopher Gates, President of the National Civic League as the
keynote speaker. He did a marvelous job of talking about the need for
what he calls "citizen democracy" - people coming together to engage in
civic dialogue, decision making and action on public policy issues
(sounds like a call for open space to me). He drew a line with
"representative democracy" (not working so well these days) at one end,
"direct democracy" - using the internet to obtain citizen input (votes)
at the other end, and "citizen democracy" in the middle. His take (and I
agree) is that "direct democracy" by itself is not the panacea some are
touting. It's the community and "fire" of dialogue, decision and actions
that we need.

BJ Peters