Does advance notice matter?

Alan Stewart alan.stewart at senet.com.au
Thu Feb 27 17:22:39 PST 2003

G'day Joelle and all who sent revealing comments on this posting, on and off
list.

Joelle wrote:

" I usually have clients include the general theme of the OS in the
invitation
they send out.  And I sometimes include a couple of questions which help to
establish the territory we will cover--but not usually the main question
which is asked in the opening, as I know that we may change our minds about
the exact focus as the time comes closer.  I might try to find a couple of
sample questions which expand the territory a bit beyond what people expect.

I can appreciate your concern about how to encourage spontaneity.  My
observation is that people who want to post a session are not much deterred
by how I have framed the question; the issues which want to come forward
will come forward, whatever I say is the theme.

Not sure how much this helps, but I am sure you will be able to find what is
appropriate."

Evidently I had not made clear that it is advance notice of the PRECISE
WORDING
of the question, not of the general theme, which is my issue. (I have had
subtantial input
into framing the question in concert with the sponsors).

In the instance I am referring to the participants are fully aware of their
challenge.
Nothing is being foisted on them. What may be helpful to participants is to
see this challenge expressed in a precise, compelling way. Whether this
happens
prior to or on the day is my query.

I see merit, in this specific instance, in Joelle's approach - and also in
BJ's idea of
checking, after announcing the theme/question once the forum is under way,
"Is this what seems most important for you to be working on today?"

And I appreciate the illumination this posting has evoked for me.

With love

Alan
Adelaide