Priorization in short time

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Thu Feb 27 14:26:56 PST 2003

Hello Thomas,

I feel your time schedule is fine. In my experience, the number of participants
does not seem to have much relationship with the length of the first bit, and I
agree with Harrison that when given a clear time limit the same seems to go for
the closing.

But I really look forward to hear more ideas about convergence in a short time,
because I suppose I am ambivalent about it.

On the one hand there is that part of me which wants to creates conditions for
conditions as clear and practical as possible to emerge within whatever time frame
possible. On the other hand the sense that the closing circle almost always seems
to show the way forward which one can take - if one wants - quite clearly. So I
don't really want to prioritise without having done that. Sometimes I invite
participants to say something about what they have decided to do - alone or
together with others - in the closing round. If the group is ready to get going,
some reactions are clear and practical. So I would like to give Michael's
suggestion a try with the next group I have which seems
very ready to get practical fast.

Over the years I have become less respectful of the sacredness of the timeframe as
mentioned in the first contact by the sponsor (and knowing you I believe you feel
the same way). I have facilitated a few recently which started with lunch on day
one and ended with lunch on day two, "costing" the sponsor one working day while
providing - I feel - much more processing and convergence time. I am also more
optimistic about the degree to which sponsors recognise and honor the results of
an OS in wanting to follow up.

But prioritisation in a short time ........................ I wish I knew. Or is
what happens the only thing that could happen ?

Greetings from the Western part of Svenmark,

Gerard Muller
Open Space Institute Denmark