Givens (was: Already-thereness, Empowerment and Such)

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Sat Feb 22 13:31:36 PST 2003

I have come to see "givens" as what is to be "taken as given" for the
purposes of the event at hand.  (I was around when Birgitt first applied
the concept at Wesley Urban Ministries in relation to Open Space, but I
agree with Michael that it has been around for a while.)

Post-modern philosophy hates givens and does not believe that there are
any (at its extreme), that all is socially constructed.  As we discussed
during the last three days in an "introductory workshop" (it was
anything but introductory for some--it was wonderfully deep), there is
freedom to choose the new in every moment.  However, our choice is in
relation to what was in the last moment as well as what could be.  (At
that point of coming into being, "what was" is the only thing that
"could've" -- we cannot go back and change it.) "Karma" does tend to
limit our choices and perception of what is possible.  In each moment
the possibilities are also limitless, but most of us (certainly me) have
limited perception of the now.  As Harrison says, Open Space expands our
"now" or our consciousness of what is possible as a collective  --
Mindfulness Meditation can expand it as an individual.

Even with all that, a particular sponsor who (I agree with Michael)
opens a space may certainly want the participants to take some things as
"given" and if so, it is much better said at the beginning than to kill
the energy after.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation