Givens (was: Already-thereness, Empowerment and Such)

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed Feb 19 20:53:07 PST 2003

Artur--

Well, I agree with you.  In thinking about this event, I remembered that I
had encouraged the leadership team to share more information in their
invitation to the OS.  And on the evening before, I asked the director if she
wanted to review the situation in the opening.  But I did not ask them to
change the invitation or the opening remarks--"whatever happens. . ."

Like you, I came to the conclusion that sharing the needed information AT THE
REQUEST OF THE STAFF was a much more powerful experience.  So I think that
everyone learned together.

I will not allow my five-year old granddaughter to run in front of a moving
car.  But for the most part, I let her explore and learn from her experience.
 The same with clients--I would rather that they learned from their own
experience.

I don't generally use the term "givens" with clients.  I ask them about what
they see as external constraints (in this case, they were asked by their
funding agency to expand their region).  And I ask the leadership team to get
clear, before the event, what will happen to the ideas which are proposed.

I don't think you and I are far apart in our thinking about this question.

Joelle