Fwd: Re: [OSLIST] Givens (was: Already-thereness, Empowerment and Such)

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at snafu.de
Wed Feb 19 08:10:41 PST 2003

Dear Artur,
if gravity is a "given" all you need to do is to have the space in
outer space.
My word for givens is "Rahmenbedingungen" and I propose we all use
this word to really impress our sponsors and clients.
It translates something like "conditions that set the frame".
Everybody here knows, that "Rahmen" (frame") as in "Rahmenplan" is
something that really brings things to a grinding halt if people
where to stick to them. Its similar to "things that are set" which
unions sometimes threaten to get unionized people to stick to with
the understanding that nothing will move when you do that.
By the way, there are huge departments in the local hierarchies that
work for years on various "Rahmen" which by the time they see the day
of light are obsolete.
peace
michael

Here is a little story, would like to hear if any of you had a
similar experience: not infrequently people will explain "Thats too
expensive, we will not be able to pay you" (this happens when I tell
them about my miniscule fee). My standard response is that I have not
yet experienced an os not taking place because people could not come
up with the fee.
There goes that given.

>Now about my minor point: you referred gravity as an example. But gravity
>is a law of nature. In organizational settings the givens are normally
>human made and can be changed - even if they are external, but more clearly
>if they are internal. And as you have referred, we often think as
>being  external some constraints and limitation that have been created by
>the (internal) mental models we use to see the external world. When you
>refer to gravity as a type of "given" similar to the others, I wonder if
>the client will not think that the other "givens" are so difficult to
>bypass as gravity. But this is really a minor point, and I am in agreement
>with you in all your other comments.
>
>With care
>
>Artur

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.