Givens (was: Already-thereness, Empowerment and Such)

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 18 18:02:33 PST 2003

Arthur,
I accept responsibility for introducing the concept of "givens" into the
preparation of facilitating an OST meeting. I like what Chris Corrigan wrote
about the real work of the "givens" is to get at the holes in the
assumptions about and perceived "givens", which are not "givens" at all. I
too spent many years studying the work of Piaget and agree that "givens are
never given to us: they are created by the theories that allow us to see
them".

I wish to correct a mistaken assumption. The "givens" do not "govern" an OST
meeting. There can be no "givens" for what is and is not conversed about
because OST runs on passion. The "givens" are clarified because in an
existing organization there are always "givens" usually unspoken, that
affect the results of the meeting in the days following the meeting. And
when I clarify the "givens" with the sponsor, what we actually define is
where the freedom within the organization following the meeting really is.

On this list, we often write about all of the wonders of an OST meeting. I
have spent considerable time for over a decade following what happens
following an OST meeting. And it is not always a happy story. I have been
told on this list that the follow up is really none of our business. I
disagree with that. We who use OST understand that it is powerful. The
client usually does not.

Blessings to you,
Birgitt