OST and decolonization

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 15 07:31:54 PST 2003

At 09:26 AM 2/15/2003 -0500, john wrote:
>i strongly believe that were i to not have come upon open space, the perils
>of being an n. american working for change in a place like haiti, would have
>overwhelmed me with disillusionment, resulting in the need to leave the
>country years ago.

I suspect that a number of folks (myself included) would willingly
associate themselves with your statement. Their venue, however may be
markedly different. The negative effect of colonization, dis-empowerment,
to say nothing of dictatorial rule are by no means limited to so called 3rd
world environments. Right here in the old US of A, the home of the Free and
the Brave (as it says in the song) corporate life for many may look better
and feel the same, or worse.  I think the understandings we are gaining in
extreme situations, such as yours John, can have very useful applications.

Harrison

>Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA