Help! Client's Three Week Worries

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Wed Feb 5 19:26:45 PST 2003

Michael, Laurel, Denis, Ralph, Glory, Lisa, BJ, and all those who sent good
thoughts--

Well, well, well, I knew I could count on all of you!

And did you help calm *my* jitters! Thank you all!

Michael and Laurel, I had not thought of participants combining sessions.
The obvious is the most difficult some times!

      What I had thought was this (from my notes to myself after posting
      here): Guaranteeing that no one will feel left out is in some
instances
      opposed to getting results. ("Results" is their main aim.)

      (Addressed to the male client, who was talking the most:) The problem
      you see, if I understand correctly, is that there might be more
topics
      posted than we have space to handle, and therefore someone might feel
      left out, or less worthy. Correct? (Trying to get a good sense of
their
      real concern, to make sure I understand.)

      If that is so, then using a format where no one decides that but the
      person himself or herself is the best solution: the first one to post
      gets the first choice on spaces and times; the later ones get what is
      still available. First come, first served. Everybody understands
that.
      But people don't understand a group moderator choosing to downplay
      their topic.

But is this being too willing to get into a discussion of the pros and cons
and technical details of OST?

Denis, you raise an interesting question. If they did become space invaders
at the OST itself, I would either try to talk to them privately if I could,
or remind people of the Law of Two Feet and perhaps suggest a break in the
proceedings so people could choose sessions. This is close to what Harrison
says on p 119 of the _Guide_.

This is a distinct possibility. Today they suggested to me that since no
one else knows the space, and since the largest breakout spaces are in one
place, that they be the ones to assign spaces to groups after everyone has
signed up and we know the numbers for each session.

My original thought to that was that when they said that, I would say to
get the Convenors together to work that out.

Now I wonder just how you would suggest to handle it if they did become
space invaders? You brought up the question and I'll guess you had a great
answer in mind when you did. Care to share it? <grin>

Glory, great idea to cut the time in two!

Lisa, do you say that "Amazing" stuff to all the boys? <grinning, ducking,
running>

Thank you all for your love and support, which definitely comes through
these wires.

I am thinking that rather than try to handle this via e-mail, it would be
best in person. Would you all agree?

                              :-Doug. Germann